The poor economy and doom and gloom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

OMG the sky is falling,the stock market is a mess, people are out of work, priests are slapping babys, dogs and cats are sleeping together and I am faced with something that I was hopping to avoid for a little while longer.

I think I have to hire my first employee! AAAAAgggghh
I just got to much work coming up in the next few months and unless I get some help Im gonna be in the ship. When did some of you fellas finally realize that its time to get some full time help? And what would you say is a good starting point(money wise) for a dude with 2-3 years experiace? I would Ideally like to hire someone that If need be I can leave him to do some simple tasks like trim out a house, run feeds, rough a renovation if I lay it out for him and all he has to do is connect the dots.

cadpoint

My first employee was the one that came through the door by calling cold and wanted a job, unsoliciated by myself, he's now off in Japan making swords, and he was a kid in HS and worked PT...

It's very hard to find a person that doesn't have baggage or what you might consider the right ideals to fit your needs.

I'd call the local vocational center and ask for the top guy in the second year of electrical work/class. Thier ready to be placed and usually will be what you need. That's how I got my start in another vocation! :)

Other than that, I can only reflect on an interview I had once and the interviewer ask me what's wrong? I said, "Hey, its an interview and I'm nervous."

From what I've read here of your business and people dealing, I think you'll have a high bar of a person that you might hire!

There's no gloom to hiring, there might be some trial and error, I'm sure you will instill all the wants and needs of anyone that you might hire, I have no doult!

I'd get a signed contract of no touch of your client/base for one year from of time of termination, SOP!

Last edited:

tonyou812

My post was a bit misleading. I just mentioned the doom and gloom cause alot of guys are talking about how much buisness has slowed down. I dont expect the world from someone especially a young kid.

Along the lines of what cadpoint said you'll want someone who knows something to begin with and if you really think you can along with just a helper type I'd suggest getting someone who spent last summer on a resi new construction crew.

Ask around other EC's you know for one of their better green guys that got laid off (or went onto something else when it got cold ha!) or specifically mention that experience in your craigslist ad. Unfortunately, there are probably quite a few around.

Good luck.

electricmanscott

My post was a bit misleading. I just mentioned the doom and gloom cause alot of guys are talking about how much buisness has slowed down. I dont expect the world from someone especially a young kid.

It is not a matter of perception of gloom and doom. The economy is in the crapper. It is a fact regardless of what some of the economic experts say here.

You are the exeception, but that does not change the situation.

As for hiring someone, go for it. If you feel you have the need it is probably a good time to find a decent guy.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We legally are not supposed to have an apprentice on the job without a journeyman or EC. Other than that no one does the job as well as you and if you can allow for that, go for it. As much as the economy is in the crapper and spreading, spending is the only way to help.

jrannis

I can honestly say that I have had the best luck calling the union hall and asking for a second or third year.
The guys are educated motivated and usually studying for the journeyman's exam at that point in their career and can for sure wire a house.

bjp_ne_elec

My first employee was the one that came through the door by calling cold and wanted a job, unsoliciated by myself, he's now off in Japan making swords, and he was a kid in HS and worked PT...

Cadpoint - curious - you say he's over in Japan making swords - your serious? Back to the EC part - how did he work out - you never mentioned that part. I have more respect for a guy that's out "banging on doors" than one that is sitting home waiting for the phone to ring.

mdshunk

Hiring it tough right now. In the past, if an electrician was unemployed, there was a good reason for it; he is unfit. Lately, if an electrician is unemployed, he might be okay. Makes them harder to sort out. A friend of mine hires a guy for a one day trial first.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
tonyou812 said:
When did some of you fellas finally realize that its time to get some full time help?
When ? When you have so much work and prospects of more in the future that you're willing to part with some of the $$ that you'd normally make for yourself. The fact is that as tradesmen there are only so many hours in a day that we can work and there is only so much money that one person can generate by himself in that time. Having said you should know that you are among the luckiest tradesmen that have work and you should be thankful. You'll now have to decide what that maximum time and those dollars are and then decide to share that with your new employee.
I would Ideally like to hire someone that If need be I can leave him to do some simple tasks like trim out a house, run feeds, rough a renovation if I lay it out for him and all he has to do is connect the dots.
Just like buying a car, the more features you want, the more it will cost you. You may find a bargain in depressed times but if those times change so will your employee.

If you have great prospects or you know that you'll be locked up on a commercial job for a year or so, go ahead and hire a permanent employee. If you're just looking to get by for a few months then hire a temp and watch over him/her. That way, when you're out of work there won't be any hard feelings when you have to lay them off.

satcom

Some of the younger guys, din't experience a down cycle, so they have no idea how to prepare for one or how to operate in one, so of the guys that have been thru them have voiced their views, but when your young everything looks positive in the future, the business cycle is trending down, and the worst is yet to come, but it does not mean you can not operate in this cycle, you just have to plan and manage better then in the go go times.

robwire

Some of the younger guys, din't experience a down cycle, so they have no idea how to prepare for one or how to operate in one, so of the guys that have been thru them have voiced their views, but when your young everything looks positive in the future, the business cycle is trending down, and the worst is yet to come, but it does not mean you can not operate in this cycle, you just have to plan and manage better then in the go go times.

I have never seen such a negative person,you need to stop watching Glen Beck

I have recently gotten so much work that I had to hire a guy 2 weeks ago.So far he has been great.He was laid off from sombody I kinda knew.If I am thinking about hiring a guy I ask who he was working for and I give that guy a call.It doesn't hurt to ask his former employer about him.

As for the other poster who said to call the union hall.Unless you have a huge commercial job I wouldn't bother,you wont be able to afford him.

growler

It is not a matter of perception of gloom and doom. The economy is in the crapper. It is a fact regardless of what some of the economic experts say here.

Yes, the economy is in the crapper. Even if you have a contract with General Motors or the City of New York either may be bankrupt next week.

peter d

Another thing to consider is that economic conditions are highly regional. They can be worse or better from state to state and even from county to county. I happen to live in a state that has leading indicators which are mostly in the negative direction. There is still work out there, but it is coming in very slowly and there is no guarantee of a 6 month+ backlog like there used to be in this area.

Every area must be taken on an individual basis to really determine if it's truly "doom and gloom" or not. I'm not a doom & gloom guy myself, but I'm also very realistic about the trouble we are facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.