Offsetting 2" PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkrieger

Hi: Long time.........No post :smile:

I need to run some 2" SCH40 PVC and offset over a 5" obstruction. I have a 30" hot box and am wondering if anyone knows how long the total offset bend will be and if my little hot box will make it.....Or, do I bend two single "kicks" and use a coupling on top of the 5" obstruction??

Any help is as always, sincerely appreciated.

DKrieger:)

Make a jig. Nothing fancy is needed.

Layout what you need on a piece of plywood (or whatever else is handy) and set some sort of locating pins in it (even some long drywall screws could work) at the required points... measure how long the bend area is plus some at each end.

Heat up that stick real good all along the section you need to bend and then lay the spagetti into the slot.

cadpoint

Well, Stop reading and start telling, gezz ...

.....Or, do I bend two single "kicks" and use a coupling on top of the 5" obstruction??
... :)

I'd Bend a 1" of EMT to the be about a ? 7.5" offset(thinking out loud) and lay the heated PVC to that.

rkrieger

More Information

More Information

I am installing a 200A ATS for a generator and the 5" offset is to "cross-over" the 3 1/2" poco riser perpindicularily. To answer Larry, I need to keep the offset as "short" as possible due to other stuff in the way.

I was asking if the total length of the offset could be heated up in the the 30"
hotbox or could I keep the PVC hot enough pushing/pulling it in and out of the heater. Probably best to use a coupling, but I like the idea of pre-bending some 1" to use as a pattern. I have used the plywood idea before.

Thanks to all.

Maybe, I'll send a pic to show more accurately what my inadequate words lack in description.

RLK

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am installing a 200A ATS for a generator and the 5" offset is to "cross-over" the 3 1/2" poco riser perpindicularily. To answer Larry, I need to keep the offset as "short" as possible due to other stuff in the way.
Sounds like you need a 45 flanked by two 22.5's.

elohr46

I need to run some 2" SCH40 PVC and offset over a 5" obstruction. I have a 30" hot box and am wondering if anyone knows how long the total offset bend will be and if my little hot box will make it.....Or, do I bend two single "kicks" and use a coupling on top of the 5" obstruction??

Any help is as always, sincerely appreciated.

DKrieger:)

using 30 degree bends the distance between the two "kicks" will be 10"

rkrieger

What a forum and what a country!!!

What a forum and what a country!!!

Hadn't thought about a three point saddle using a 45 and two 22's. Even if I shorten up the factory bends, I still may have to "roll" it up alittle, but that's OK. If I can sneak it in, that will probably work. Thanks, Larry. Will keep you all informed. I don't think I can heat/bend 2" that close without collapsing the sidewall.

Happy early Thanksgiving.:):)
RKrieger

iwire

Staff member
2" Pipe with 3 bend saddle made of fittings = Ugly to electricians and civilians.

2" Pipe with heat formed 3 bend saddle = Work of art to electricians, still a big ugly pipe to civilians. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.