Hot Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked at a hot for a friend of mine and here is the problem , The gfi in the hot tub will not hold a load at all . The load it protects is 220 to a contactor for the heater. If we removed the load it would hold as soon as the load went back on through the contactor it would trip instantly . I guess the question is could the contactor be bad, or am i missing something else?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It probably doesn't protect the contactor, rather it controls it, The heating element is the load it's sensing, and it probably has leakage current. submersible elements tend to have some leakage, that one is probably blown. With it disconnected check resistance from the terminal to ground on the element, if it is not infinite or very close to infinite, that is the problem, also check between the terminals, the resistance should be relatively low depending on the kw of the heater. If you are getting in the K's of resistance it's probably bad.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
It probably doesn't protect the contactor, rather it controls it, The heating element is the load it's sensing, and it probably has leakage current. submersible elements tend to have some leakage, that one is probably blown. With it disconnected check resistance from the terminal to ground on the element, if it is not infinite or very close to infinite, that is the problem, also check between the terminals, the resistance should be relatively low depending on the kw of the heater. If you are getting in the K's of resistance it's probably bad.

I think you are right on target with this answer. This is the most common problem with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.