Circuit Tracer

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I had a job today to find an open circuit in a double wide home. A garbage disposal apparently jammed and the circuit lost power. However, no circuit breaker was tripped and the service panel was not marked. I identified six light switches that were connected together with the disposal receptacle and switch, but none connected to the service panel. All light circuits contained switch legs from the switches to the lights. Could not locate any receptacles (GFCI or not) other than the disposal receptacle, which was OK. Could not find any other lights or receptacles that were without power. Any ideas??

The kitchen was remodeled in the recent past and the electrical work performed was substandard. I envision a hiddeen junction box or a hidden, burned up receptacle.

Can anyone identify a circuit tracer that I might use to trace conductors within walls?

SG-1

I have found more than one circuit breaker that had tripped, but the handle was still "ON". Make sure by checking the load side of each breaker for voltage, if you have not already done so.

I have circuit tracer by amprobe, but I do not remember the model number. I will check when I get home.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I had to trace open circuit in doublewide day before yesterday, 20+ year old. I was sure it was bad connection in self-contained receptacle, and pulled out all none-working. Behind one of them was modular plug, turned out to be a different circuit. Finally found my problem in crawl space, another plug. If I had been working on circuit where I found first plug I don't know that I would have found it, it was not near any of the devices or fixtures it served.

Another time in doublewide tracing receptacles I found a self-contained receptacle buried in wall, they forgot to cut sheetrock for it.

Neither time did I use circuit tracer, but should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.