Union Contractors payroll reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAWGS

We recently went union. I am wondering what other union contractors are using for payroll software or payroll services. We are currently using quickbooks, but we work between two locals and have been cutting two different paychecks to the men working in both locals. There must be a better way. The local and NECA are not giving us much support on how to do this. My wife does the payroll she is pulling here hair out.:-? Please dont turn this into a debate, I dont want this thread shut down.

charlietuna

We used Peach Street for our payroll--but your monthly payroll sheet are provided by the union or in your case Unions. The information was taken off our Peach Street spred sheets and copied into the union monthly payroll sheet .

quogueelectric

A lot of the smaller contractors I have worked for use a payroll service I dont think it is that expensive or they wouldnt use it. It wold make the accounting that much easier for a % or two whatever they get.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A lot of the smaller contractors I have worked for use a payroll service I dont think it is that expensive or they wouldnt use it. It wold make the accounting that much easier for a % or two whatever they get.

I agree. The pro's usually perform very well for a small price. It's also likely that they'll have the expensive software that makes payroll transactions very easy.

DAWGS

I agree. The pro's usually perform very well for a small price. It's also likely that they'll have the expensive software that makes payroll transactions very easy.

Yes, we are going to look into it. I just want to find one that has experience with union contractors. If I have to shell out for another software, it will be worth paying a payroll company anyways.

emahler

if it makes you feel better, when we were a union shop, NJ had 13 different locals...with 13 different rates...and 13 different packages....it took an average of 1 hr/week/man for payroll...we were running 60 guys...

granted this was in the 80's and way before all the technology of today...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
if it makes you feel better, when we were a union shop, NJ had 13 different locals...with 13 different rates...and 13 different packages....it took an average of 1 hr/week/man for payroll...we were running 60 guys...

granted this was in the 80's and way before all the technology of today...

That's the likely advantage of using an outside firm, they'll have most, if not all, of that information already loaded into their data base.

celtic

if it makes you feel better, when we were a union shop, NJ had 13 different locals...with 13 different rates...and 13 different packages....
NJ is down to 6 locals [consolidations, acquisitions & mergers ~ call it what you like]...it may be down to 3 someday: North, Central, and SOuth.

....granted this was in the 80's and way before all the technology of today...

I'll bet you had a totally rad mullet.

LOL
:D

emahler

NJ is down to 6 locals [consolidations, acquisitions & mergers ~ call it what you like]...it may be down to 3 someday: North, Central, and SOuth.

I'll bet you had a totally rad mullet.

LOL
:D

best mullet in the 8th grade:D

i'd like to see them get down to 1 local...NJ...we aren't that big

charlietuna

We had 23 men working and in two locals--payroll took about three hours a week. We would get audited by Unions every other year! Only mistakes found were on their end. It isn't that much of a deal today with the software available. Besides, i wouldn't trust other people to do my payroll !

DAWGS

The payroll is no problem for one local, the multiple locals is a pain. My wife has an appointment with a lady from another union company who is going to show her how she does it. She made her own spread sheet for the payroll reporting that she will share with us.

satcom

That's the likely advantage of using an outside firm, they'll have most, if not all, of that information already loaded into their data base.

It is not so much the payroll, that is the easy tracking, the labor department filing, and union audits, or even the smallest dispute, will usually take more of your time. Even today most payroll services and software, do not have the ability to report labor tracking, you usually need a book keeper that has experience in tis area, if you don't have a large shop try an experienced person on a part time basis.
If you really want fun, try running a split shop.

Last edited:

How do you handle subs on prevailing wage jobs. For instance if you have a contractor doing your excavating. Do you just pay him his quoted price or does it have to be prevailing wage? How about if you partner w/another electrician?

celtic

How do you handle subs on prevailing wage jobs. For instance if you have a contractor doing your excavating. Do you just pay him his quoted price or does it have to be prevailing wage? How about if you partner w/another electrician?

All the tradesmen are required to receive PW.

ohm

We used a national firm, they seldom got everything correct, even after we spoon fed them all the info. Ultimately, IMO, the business owner is still responsible and ends up the looser, no matter what the payroll company advertises.

Status
Not open for further replies.