wiring house in douglas county co

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddhakii

Does anyone here wire houses in Douglas County Colorado? Just got my rough done today and the inspector mentioned I need shower trims on the can lights in all clothes closets no matter how far away from storage I am. The cans are all CFL's.

Inspector

Inspector

As per Art,410.8 if the recessed cans are incandescent fixture then it would need to be of the totaly enclosed type if all the fixture will accept is a florescent type bulb then by the NEC it would not be required. But Douglas County is there own jurisdiction so you may want to just comply

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
This may seem like a stupid question but, are the cans rated for a shower trim I believe some of them are not ( the CFL type cans ) not that they will not work but the listing is not there. Elco comes to mind as one that may not be listed for use with a shower trim and fluorescent lamp.

JohnJ0906

Don't know about your area, but in my area I had to have a globe or a lens for a closet light, no open bulbs, no matter if they are fluorescent.

Where is "just south of Baltimore"?
I have used open-tube fluorescent in every jurisdiction around here with 0 issues from inspectors. :confused:

closet lights

closet lights

Where is "just south of Baltimore"?
I have used open-tube fluorescent in every jurisdiction around here with 0 issues from inspectors. :confused:

John, I can only say in the counties I've worked in they have always (since '02 I think) required closet lights to have a globe or a lens. Speaking resi. of course. I live in Millersville, hence the "just south of Baltimore".
Where are you located?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Welp, seems that would be violation of Article 410.8(C), 2005' ; 410.16, 2008'.
Open tube fluorescents are allowed in closets providing your have the clearances needed.

Back to the OP-- if this can is a PLC type CFL then the inspector is incorrect in requiring a lens for the closet howwever, depending on the situation he may be correct in citing a violation in the shower.

cadpoint

Open tube fluorescents are allowed in closets providing your have the clearances needed.

Let's go with the CODE! I never said they weren't allowed, the OP I was addressing and stated "open tube", now I'm thinking an open tumb stone and not fully enclosed. 08 clears alot of this up...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Let's go with the CODE! I never said they weren't allowed, the OP I was addressing and stated "open tube", now I'm thinking an open tumb stone and not fully enclosed. 08 clears alot of this up...

I don't get it... open tube is a fluorescent strip light, as an example. It is perfectly OK -- not sure what the 08 clarified

JohnJ0906

John, I can only say in the counties I've worked in they have always (since '02 I think) required closet lights to have a globe or a lens. Speaking resi. of course. I live in Millersville, hence the "just south of Baltimore".
Where are you located?

Baltimore (Catonsville). And I have done a lot of work in Anne Arundel county.

cadpoint said:
Welp, seems that would be violation of Article 410.8(C), 2005' ; 410.16, 2008'.

Gotta disagree. There is no requirement for a fluorescent to have an enclosed lamp.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If the can is listed as a "recessed fluorescent luminaire" then it may be installed in a clothes closet, 410.16(A)(2). There is no NEC requirement that the lamp be enclosed if it is listed as such.

410.16(C)(4) indicates the can should be no closer than 6" to the storage space inside the closet.

rcarroll

If the can is listed as a "recessed fluorescent luminaire" then it may be installed in a clothes closet, 410.16(A)(2). There is no NEC requirement that the lamp be enclosed if it is listed as such.

410.16(C)(4) indicates the can should be no closer than 6" to the storage space inside the closet.
That's exactly how I inspect them.
Enjoy your day off, George. I'm working. :smile:

cadpoint

If you want to say that a surface mount light could not a flourscent light, & my arguement is open tub (not enclosed) well keep doing what you know! 410.16 ALL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.