Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV power cord in wall?

TV power cord in wall?

We are constantly going back and forth with AV installers about dropping the tv power cord in the wall. We do home theater installs ourselves, and always install a recessed outlet behind the flat panel tv when necessary, when the customer is willing to pay for it. If they choose not to pay for the outlet then the tv power cord is hanging down in front of the wall. Can be put in wiremold for extra, but not inside the wall. The AV only installers say it's a gray area in the code, and if they use a cord that can disconnect at the tv and at the outlet then its ok. Is there something I'm missing in 400?
    Can a brother get some input?

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbrotherselectric
    ...... Is there something I'm missing in 400?

Maybe 400.8(2)?

We are constantly going back and forth with AV installers about dropping the tv power cord in the wall. We do home theater installs ourselves, and always install a recessed outlet behind the flat panel tv when necessary, when the customer is willing to pay for it. If they choose not to pay for the outlet then the tv power cord is hanging down in front of the wall. Can be put in wiremold for extra, but not inside the wall. The AV only installers say it's a gray area in the code, and if they use a cord that can disconnect at the tv and at the outlet then its ok. Is there something I'm missing in 400?

I think some of it has to do with the power cord on the tv is not rated for in wall use. But I could be completly wrong. I would also like to know a code article, as I get the same requests often.

~Matt
    I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.

Yep 400.8 (2) takes care of running it in the walls.

~Matt
    I would rather beg for forgiveness then beg for permission.

so you guys agree. YOU CAN NOT DROP THE TV POWER CORD IN THE WALL.

so you guys agree. YOU CAN NOT DROP THE TV POWER CORD IN THE WALL.

Sure you can.... you just can't use it if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky
    Sure you can.... you just can't use it if you do.
    Sure you can but you will be in violation of the nec.:smile:

Yes we agree. Which can be very rare on this site.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

I love it. Thats my new response...
    I sure can install it in the wall at no additional charge, but you cant use it.

It gets even trickier when they want to plug the projector and powered subwoofer into the same power conditioner located with all the other equipment. I surprised an a/v company when I told them you can't run cords through walls. They had been doing it for years, even with an in house master electrician. They even made detailed plans that illustrate how the cord would be ran.