IAEI pros vs cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Since the other topic was closed and none of the posts really addressed anything, I'll ask here.

Why would one consider joining?

Why are there so many price levels?

What do you get for your money?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I'm a big contractor in the area it might look good to see XYZ corporation put up $5000.

wbalsam1

Since the other topic was closed and none of the posts really addressed anything, I'll ask here.

1. Why would one consider joining?

2. Why are there so many price levels?

3. What do you get for your money?

1. Same reason anyone joins any professional organization. Meet industry executives, learn of newest technologies, build professional contacts, learn the best ways/methods of doing something, get practical everyday advice, meet industry-related peers, be prepared for future demands.

2. Directly proportional to amount of desired contribution.

3. Access to codes and standards at reduced rates, handbooks, guides, magazines and other publications, PowerPoint analysis, etc.

peter d

Does anyone want to join "I.A.I.E." that I'm starting?

International Association of ultra Intelligent Electricians.

The entrance fee is $10,000, but well worth it

frizbeedog

From page 56 of the Membership manual.

Here

SUSTAINING MEMBER. An organization, firm, association or group which is particularly interested in
supporting the objectives of the IAEI by paying dues not less than that shown in this section. Such
Sustaining member may have one (1) representatie for each Section. Such representatives shall be
entitled to the privileges of an Associate member unless qualified as an Inspector member. Sustaining
memberships are further established as bronze, silver, gold and platinum types.
SUSTAINING MEMBER ANNUAL DUES
BRONZE ............................................ $500
SILVER .............................................. 1,000
GOLD ................................................ 2,500
PLATINUM ........................................... 5,000+

bphgravity

When I first became an IAEI member, I was an instructor and contractor. I sat in the back of the room during the meeting and didn't get too involved or participate all that much. My $90 didn't seem to go too far or give much back.

When I became an inspector, it turned out that my employer was really into the IAEI and all but required their electrical inspectors to be ACTIVE members. Well, it wasn't long before I was asked to be Secretary and to serve on a few committees. Next thing I knew, I was a Board of Director representing my Divison at the Chapter level. At my very first BOD meeting, I ws asked to become the Secretary of the Chapter in addition to my service as a Secretary to my local Divison.

Through my service, I have had the opportunity to meet really incredible people that I now call friends. This includes the likes of Mark Ode, John Minick, Mark Early, and James Carpenter. In part due to my involvement with the IAEI, I now serve on two UL standard technical panels. I am an alternate to serve on CMP 5 for the 2014 NEC and will likely be the first and only representative of the IAEI to serve on the NFPA 780 Technical Panel. As Secretary of the Florida Chapter, I have been able to make alliances with other organizations such as BOAF and the ECF. This has led to my election of Secretary to the Gulf Coast Chapter of BOAF and a founder of a new ECF Chapter here in SW Florida.

But these are only the big headline aspects that I can only try to wow and impress you with. The real good stuff is the things that happen one on one with other members. Being someone they can rely on to get information fast and accurate. To be someone to answer the phone or email and get them through code questions or others issues concernng the industry. To arrange more than 100 members to attend the funeral of a passing member. To honor a member with 55 years of service and membership. To provide a helpng hand to members being layed-off during these tuff economic times.

Don't get me wrong. It has been a lot of work and a lot of my own time and effort put into this organization with NO pay and without many pats on the back. As the Secretary of more than 1,200 members, I get to hear all the complaints, deal with all the controversial issues, handle all the egos, and that's the good aspects. I won't bother you with the really fun stuff.

Membership isn't for everyone. It actually requires hard work, dedication, and self-motivation. It comes with tons of frustration, lack of support, and occassionly all the blame when things don't work out.

I find many on this Forum are not up for this. They know not how to give, but readily put their hand out in want. If you are looking for a free ride, free meal, and new golf buddies, the IAEI is not the place for you. So don't come to my association asking what is in it for me me me.

bphgravity

No one is asking for $5,000 from you or anyone. As a matter of fact, it is organizations that approach the IAEI when WANTING to give in dollars of this size.

I find it funny that every contractor on this Forum is trying to find ways to make more money and get every dollar out of their customers they can, yet act like it is a crime when another entity tries to raise some captial for their cause.

What is $5k when you are a multi-million dollar organization? Your due for membership is $102. For crying out loud, grow up.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I feel partly responsible for bringing this to a head.

I was not feigning confusion for argument's sake, and I don't think many of these guys have been either. You see, when the Red Cross or United Way asks for a contribution, or offers a channel to receive contributions, the general public knows basically what the organizations do, and where the money is intended to go.

When I see an ad for XYZ Electric, Inc, then I know it is a private business that operates for profit.

When I go to www.mikeholt.com and peruse the offerings there, I see educational material for sale. There is no mention of charity, no memberships, so I can conclude that it is a for-profit business and I can understand that.

When I look at the IAEI, I see an odd mixture of things that resemble charity and capitalism. So, my confusion is genuine - not contrived to try to attack the IAEI. I know several smart cookies around here that have joined it and are not ashamed of it, so I figure there must be something to it.

Capitalism isn't criminal, obviously - but bearing the trappings of charity while engaging in capitalism makes it very hard to see what we're looking at, that's all. I'm not saying any aspect of the IAEI is bad in any way, I'm just saying that when the rubber meets the road I am ignorant of it's workings, and wouldn't mind learning more. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was an associate member for many years. Another electrician showed me this great IAEI magazine and I was hooked. There was tons of information for guys like me who were new to the industry at the time. But then after some time, IMO, the magazine quality became lacking. More and more pages about local meetings and procedures and less stuff on code. Since I wasn't attending the meeting, (they were at a time when I was attending trade school) I felt that the magazine wasn't enough to keep me as a member. Since I've read some positive things about IAEI here I'm now wondering if I should rejoin. Is the magazine worth the associate membership fee on its own?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... Is the magazine worth the associate membership fee on its own?
In my opinion no. I did not renew this year as all I got from them was the magazine. There are no chapter meetings within an hours drive of me. Maybe if there were meetings closer, I would find it a good value. I also agree that the quality of the magazine has gone done in recent years....too many articles with an economic agenda....just like in the free trade magazines.

electricmanscott

No one is asking for $5,000 from you or anyone. As a matter of fact, it is organizations that approach the IAEI when WANTING to give in dollars of this size.

I find it funny that every contractor on this Forum is trying to find ways to make more money and get every dollar out of their customers they can, yet act like it is a crime when another entity tries to raise some captial for their cause.

What is $5k when you are a multi-million dollar organization? Your due for membership is $102. For crying out loud, grow up.

My questions have been answered.

For 5g you get to join a "cause" whatever that means, but you damn well better be ready to be a yes man. Disent is not welcomed or appreciated and will be greeted with hostility. Sounds great. :rolleyes:

Now I know where the yahoo inspectors I deal with get their "how dare you question me" attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.