NOTES IN MY CODE BOOK(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a developmental stage of a future project. It requires me to spend quite some time in my NEC. I am sitting in my office, and my wife hears me chuckling, and asks me what is so funny.

I realize that I have so many notes, note pages and minimized copies of UL documentation in my book. I am starting to highlight the 2008 NEC, even though we will not see this copy until 2010, and I am trying to decide how much of this " extra" info I should put into my 2008 version.

I am wondering, do you guys mark up your books in any way???

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Notes, papers even pay checks. I carry enough in it to tax the binding.

My 08's are pristine and sitting on my desk. Pains me to know they will end up trashed come summer when we adopt.

EDIT: And yes I write in them.

wbalsam1

I own several copies of each edition and often times have to browse through several to find the notes and charts I've scotch-taped in particular ones. :smile:

kb8713

Yes, Yes, and Yes
I write formulas, notes and even add sticky notes of questions and ideas that i want to do more research on.
This is a great question because i have put off hilighting my 2008 NEC for the same reasons.
I find that putting references for one code article in other code articles is very helpful.

celtic

First thing I do is RED highlight the deleted portions as amended by NJ.

From there...it just more colorful and messy :)

ceb58

I put in sticky notes for reference to made up code violations that I have had inspectors pull. ie: requried gfci for washing mach., afci a room marked on plans as study with no closets, and last but not least there must be two lighting fixtures beside exterior door.

luckyshadow

I write notes and references in the back on the blank pages, I highlight with different colors. No peticular reason for any peticular color. Some articles have more then one color if I want to be sure to notice something in a highlighted section. I also underline things in the highlighted areas. I write reminders and reference in the margins. I also use paperclips on the tops of certain pages that get referred to often or things that are a pain in the butt to find that you need every so often.
My 08 handbook is starting to look like its an entire code cycle old already and we are just planning on adopting it this coming summer.

cadpoint

I put in sticky notes ...
and last but not least there must be two lighting fixtures beside exterior door.

Front and back doors, Side doors included ? Is this a Local AHJ Spec?

Is it that dark in the country :D ? Floods verse CFL's, what's required?

Is there a spec of luminary output on this ?

I thought a luminary was required at all doors, now its two ? Please share ? :grin:

Sorry Off post, I've never highlighted my books, in class or otherwise, and no tab's.
I wrote notes in a notebook as teacher ran through Article numbers, and reviewed later.

My only suggestion is to note any O8' or active UL based on 08' at the top of page or transparance as being 08'!

Last edited:

mdshunk

There's a good many color blind electricians. I worked with one in the past. It's interesting, in that they seem to get along just fine. They have their own set of tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.