Pull cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
An excavator I was working with uses a leaf blower and plastic bags. Seemed to work pretty well.

I have recently started doing that seems to work well. I recently pushed a bag through about 250 feet of 3" PVC, took less than 5 seconds for the bag to get to the other end.

I use baling twine that pulls freely out of a bulk package of 20,000 feet. Tie to handles of a typical shopping bag and shove in your raceway and push with the blower.

This works well even in spare raceways or ones you will not be pulling in for some time, the twine is a poly twine and will not rot, and is relatively inexpensive and should the raceway fill with water you already have something fished through it.

Last edited:

guschash

How will I know which one works best if I don't try all the methods :) . Right at 500ft I will be so happy I hope don't pull it back out from my dancing around.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
How will I know which one works best if I don't try all the methods :) . Right at 500ft I will be so happy I hope don't pull it back out from my dancing around.
If you are dealing with duct already containing wires, just cut one of them and use it as a pull rope. :)
Apparently when ducts are shared among several communications systems that is an informal practice which also serves to punish the last one to pull without leaving a pull rope behind.
Less common where power is involved, of course.

guschash

Shop vac at one end and leaf blower at other end, plastic bag, worked great. 500ft through 2" PVC flew through . Thanks for all the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.