Just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.

76nemo

I keep seeing all these commercials agout being green. How many of all of you think we'll truly rid of incadecents, and what is your opinion on the subject?????

I know this has been discussed for awhile. I just want all of your opinions. Think we'll end up going there????

beanland

Green

Green

I am not sure what color we may turn, but over time incandescents will be phased out, CFL will be used during the transition but will also phase out, eventually LED or electrolumenescent products (no moving parts, high efficiency) will replace them. I say this because energy will keep getting more expensive. Why do we use fluorescents in commercial buildings and not incandescents? $ savings. Why do we use MH in high bay? $ savings. When other technologies provide $ savings, we will adopt them.

I have replaced most of the incandescents in my house with CFL and am happy with the results. I installed electronic ballasts where I had linear fluorescents and am very very happy with them (no flicker!). I still have a few incandescents where they are most appropriate.

mdshunk

Of course incandescents will come to an end. We didn't come out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Something better came along.

Rampage_Rick

I found this by looking at bulb images: www.trulyled.com

They even have a 2KW LED panel!
"GIVES 2,030 WATTS OF LIGHT, USING ONLY 308WATTS"
You got me all excited there... I was expecting an actual load of 2kW. Still, 13,000 Lumens is nothing to sneeze at.

I can't remember who said it, but I love this: "Nothing says 'I care about the environment' like a trunk full of Nickel Metal Hydride batteries"

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"GIVES 2,030 WATTS OF LIGHT, USING ONLY 308WATTS"
You got me all excited there... I was expecting an actual load of 2kW. Still, 13,000 Lumens is nothing to sneeze at.
Sorry. Didn't mean to get you all charged up. :smile:

I can't remember who said it, but I love this: "Nothing says 'I care about the environment' like a trunk full of Nickel Metal Hydride batteries"
I worry about people who thing rechargeable and solar-electric cars are/will be zero-polluting. :rolleyes:

(I don't mean you.)

ultramegabob

I love my compact fluorescents and nickel metal hydride batteries, the reason is the green that Im concerned with is in my back pocket....

nakulak

Of course incandescents will come to an end. We didn't come out of the stone age because we ran out of stones. Something better came along.

Actually, I'm still not convinced that all this new fangled stuff (mercury, asbestos, flourocarbons, pvc, etc etc) is better than good old fashioned rocks and dirt.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Cree is the forerunner, IMO, on LED lighting. They are located in Durham, NC not far from Cadpoint. :smile:

My supplier had a bulb from them for an outdoor flood light. It was impressive but it was close to $250.00. Wow--I am sure the cost will come down as they start selling.

I have HO asking about them all the time but hesitate as soon as the price is mentioned.

iaov

Actually, I'm still not convinced that all this new fangled stuff (mercury, asbestos, flourocarbons, pvc, etc etc) is better than good old fashioned rocks and dirt.
I prefer the new fangled stuff. Its hard to sell sticks and rocks when they are so readily available.

brian john

I hope we use less power per person as time goes on, but IMO all this green talk by most corporations is sales hype, blowing smoke up our tushies. But if they are actually trying to develop better systems then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.