Something I saw the other day

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Was out of the office and went to Quiznos for lunch. On the building outside they had a series of lamps hung off the wall that hung maybe a foot out over the sidewalk that was up against the building. These things hung down to maybe 6' 6" off the ground. Who would install light fixtures that are that low over a sidewalk? Granted they are on a wall, so someone is not reall likely to walk directly under them, but even so.

480sparky

Possiblities:

1. Some mis-read the prints during construction.
2. Anrchitect/engineers' mistake in design.
3. Sidewalk was added afterwards.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I thought the building code required them to be at least 6' 8'' above the walk way. No I do not have a code section.

bphgravity

Alot of cities and counties today have ordinaces or "design review boards" that basically dictate what a building will look like from the public spaces. For example, here in North Port, we have a thing call the "Tamiami Trail Appearance Review Board" and the "Devlopment Review Council". These two groups take the submitted architectural and civil drawings from the site developer and tell them all the colors, shapes, and features the building and property will have to meet the design criteria of the particular area. Our particular flavor is "Mediterian Style". The goal is to give the impression of a "village".

In some cases, they even dicate the exact location of lighting, the total illumination from them, and the effect they place on the building at night.

In short, the city hopes to trick all the people into thinking they live in Old Europe while they are shopping and eating fast food....

e57

In short, the city hopes to trick all the people into thinking they live in Old Europe while they are shopping and eating fast food....

I'll take that over the 'set of Miami Vice' look which is not far from what you describe, or worse the 1980 strip-mall/warehouse look of towns all over central California. Some people should not be left to their own devices in design sometimes - if I had some spare dimes, and did not have to stick to my "residential guidelines" I would build some sort of Guadi-esqe monstrosity in the eyes of some. Something akin to a tower in the form of a cluster of grapes made out of broken tile and solid concrete ~80' tall.

Napa as of late is building fake 300 year old French Chateaus.....

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I'll take that over the 'set of Miami Vice' look which is not far from what you describe, or worse the 1980 strip-mall/warehouse look of towns all over central California. Some people should not be left to their own devices in design sometimes - if I had some spare dimes, and did not have to stick to my "residential guidelines" I would build some sort of Guadi-esqe monstrosity in the eyes of some. Something akin to a tower in the form of a cluster of grapes made out of broken tile and solid concrete ~80' tall.
Napa as of late is building fake 300 year old French Chateaus.....

Could become a national treasure. Like the golden gate bridge or coit tower.

norcal

If buildings that are beloved now were required to through a ARB, Architectural Review Board they would never pass muster...

Brady Electric

Something I saw the other day

Ever seen the program Little People Big World?
Seriously like Marc said probably looked good on paper.
I always look and think about what I'm installing and make the correct changes but on the other hand I've seen others that just install to get it done. I had "old man" helper years ago and his best saying was (I can't see it from my house). I have never liked that attitude and never kept anyone that feels that way.
Semper Fi Buddy

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
When I was in the sign business we couldn't hang anything below 7' supposedly due to an ADA ordinance.

This makes no sense to me, how could a shorter blind person reach a sign ( Braille markings are required on some signs ) if it is hung over 7' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.