drilling bell boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyle78

I was wondering what everone does when mounting a bell box....do you all use the tabs that come with them? When I was starting out my boss gave me the degree for wasting time trying to get those tiny screws started and to just drill a hole in the back of the box and silicone it. I wouldn't think that the manufacturer had this in mind when they made it weatherproof...hell, with enough silicone you could make a raco 4 square weather proof! When trying to mount a bell box on a piece of strut you have no real choice but to drill and silicone, and i try to avoid it whenever possible but stuff happens right?

ddubbs103

I use the tabs provided, drilling back of box just doesnt seem like a good Idea for the integrity of the box maybe causing it to crack alot easier. I had a box break when it was cold out from drilling back of box and tightening it to tight when I was an apprentice and my boss was ready to kill me it was the only one we had, also his Idea to do it.

480sparky

I either use the tiny KO holes built into the box or drill my own. I don't like the looks of the tabs.

I then place an oval of silicon around all three holes (2 for screws, 1 for wire) and screw it to the wall. Another bead of silicon across the top, done.

glene77is

Try this to releive stress on the bell box:

(1) Place several fender washers behind the bell box to support it 1/4 inch,
(2) Place one in the front side under the bolt/screw head.

glene77is

I "drill" holes and use screws.
I also place fender washers behind to support the box, and one in front.

I keep silicon around for waterproofing.
Especially outside & inside the box where the holes are.
I have repaired bell boxes and wall-pack lights
where the source of corrosion was from water and debri
entering in through the mounting holes.

The question remains as to whether the bell box
is UL listed and approved for this Drill-the-Box method of mounting
(through the box screws and silicon)
but it obviously works very well from my experience.

boyle78

I either use the tiny KO holes built into the box or drill my own. I don't like the looks of the tabs.

I then place an oval of silicon around all three holes (2 for screws, 1 for wire) and screw it to the wall. Another bead of silicon across the top, done.

I agree that the tabs are cheesy, but they come with them...I have never read the directions to see if the suggest drilling the back of the box. I thought those little dimples in the box were just from the molding process and not areas to drill a 1/4 hole. I much rather drill my own, and by the sound of it, so do most us you. I was just feeling guilty I guess!

480sparky

I agree that the tabs are cheesy, but they come with them...I have never read the directions to see if the suggest drilling the back of the box. I thought those little dimples in the box were just from the molding process and not areas to drill a 1/4 hole. I much rather drill my own, and by the sound of it, so do most us you. I was just feeling guilty I guess!

Tap those dimples with a hammer, and you've got mounting holes.;)

boyle78

I found a contact about this issue via their web site. I addressed the less than usefull grounding screw that is provided, and the mounting practices that many of us need to do in order to use thier bell boxes. I'll let you know how/if I make out....if I even get a response.

nolabama

i was taught a long time ago that waterproof is also watertight - i like to drill a drain hole in the bottom of them .. so i dont have any idea why i use the little tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.