Fluke's Laser Distance Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

jayrad1122

I just bought one a week ago. I've only used it a couple times. I like it for lengths longer than when my tape snaps, anything closer my tape is always easier.

-Jared

jdsmith

The best part about it is the height function. I punch the height button on my Fluke 416D, shoot the top of the pole, straight ahead on the pole, then the bottom of the pole and it does all the trig for you and gives a height. It does area and volume as well but that's not too useful for me. The height function is worth a lot when I can go out into the plant where an ME wants to put a new valve and very quickly check distances to all nearby electrical equipment to determine if it will be in the hazardous area or not - the height function is used here to check pole cutouts.

peter

I didn't know Fluke ("It works. It must be a fluke.") made laser distance measurers. There are various brands out there and many are based on Leica optics.
I have a Stanley FatMax which is accurate to 1/8" and a range of 100'. That's ~$100 -- cheaper maybe on Amazon. The main problem is outdoors during daylight. One thing it excels at, though, is measuring across girl's locker rooms.
It should be ideal for estimating purposes. [How many estimators are accurate, anyway?]
As for measuring heights, just set it on the floor and shoot to the top of whatever. Any sophisticated calculations can be easily done with a scientific calculator.

A related device is the plumb-bob laser. I have the PLS-3 which also gives a level line. This is an invincible tool for plumbing up power poles [the in store kind].
~Peter

bradleyelectric

A related device is the plumb-bob laser. I have the PLS-3 which also gives a level line. This is an invincible tool for plumbing up power poles [the in store kind].
~Peter

I've got 1 of these we used it in a bank that had something like 39 recessed fixtures in the lobby in a radius around a dome. we chalked lines out from the center to line up where the lights were to go. They were lined up in rings around the dome. Measured distances from the center to mark the center of the lights. It shoots a red light down on the floor to line up the mark and a line up to the center of the light.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I didn't know Fluke ("It works. It must be a fluke.") made laser distance measurers. There are various brands out there and many are based on Leica optics.
I have a Stanley FatMax which is accurate to 1/8" and a range of 100'. That's ~$100 -- cheaper maybe on Amazon. The main problem is outdoors during daylight.

Leica makes a laser rangefinder that uses optics to do outside work in
daylight, and it works well, but it's pricey. the disto A8. works indoors or
out, daylight or dark, is good to 650', with an accuracy of 1.5mm.
it's hard to trust these things initially, but when i aimed at a 2x8 screwed
to a fence 150' away, and then shot the wood behind it, there was 1 5/8"
difference.

DISTOA8_180x180.jpg

quogueelectric

I dont trust the things. It might be good for a rough measure but when It could cost me money I will find the time to measure. I certainly wouldnt use it for crown moulding.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Leica makes a laser rangefinder that uses optics to do outside work in
daylight, and it works well, but it's pricey. the disto A8. works indoors or
out, daylight or dark, is good to 650', with an accuracy of 1.5mm.
it's hard to trust these things initially, but when i aimed at a 2x8 screwed
to a fence 150' away, and then shot the wood behind it, there was 1 5/8"
difference.
That's amazing accuracy.....

I was just doing the layout for our hospitals new ER entrance canopy lights by myself. I was laying out the light centers on the ground, and then shooting them up with the laser plumb bob, which wasn't bad. It was the constant back and forth with the 100' tape trying to readjust the layout to miss the sprinkler heads and keep everything evenly spaced that burned a lot of time. If I had this laser measurer then, I think it would have saved me a lot of time and grief.

I dont trust the things.

So have you tried one or are you just scared too? Isn't that what oldtimers always say about new gadgets?:D

quogueelectric

That's amazing accuracy.....

I was just doing the layout for our hospitals new ER entrance canopy lights by myself. I was laying out the light centers on the ground, and then shooting them up with the laser plumb bob, which wasn't bad. It was the constant back and forth with the 100' tape trying to readjust the layout to miss the sprinkler heads and keep everything evenly spaced that burned a lot of time. If I had this laser measurer then, I think it would have saved me a lot of time and grief.

So have you tried one or are you just scared too? Isn't that what oldtimers always say about new gadgets?:D
I have tried them but not with any acuracy testing to satisfy my doubts.

Fulthrotl

I dont trust the things. It might be good for a rough measure but when It could cost me money I will find the time to measure. I certainly wouldnt use it for crown moulding.

i know how you feel. the main thing with using them is jitters... they
have to be held steady to get an accurate reading. standing the one
i have on my desk, the distance to the ceiling is 5' 6 15/32" on the left
side of the monitor, and 5' 6 17/32" on the right side of the monitor.

if i was cutting crown molding for the wall behind the monitor, it is
11' 2 11/32", and that's probably plus or minus .005". it's good for
200 meters, with an accuracy at that range of 1/16". it came with
a certificate of accuracy traceable to NBS.

yeah, i checked it with a "real" tape measure a bunch of times.
i don't anymore. it works. she no lie, she no lie, she no lie......

hilti, leica, fluke, fat max, there are a bunch of them to choose from.
the more you pay, the better the accuracy, and the more bells and
whistles, but the cheapest ones are quite good.

randy

quogueelectric

i know how you feel. the main thing with using them is jitters... they
have to be held steady to get an accurate reading. standing the one
i have on my desk, the distance to the ceiling is 5' 6 15/32" on the left
side of the monitor, and 5' 6 17/32" on the right side of the monitor.

if i was cutting crown molding for the wall behind the monitor, it is
11' 2 11/32", and that's probably plus or minus .005". it's good for
200 meters, with an accuracy at that range of 1/16". it came with
a certificate of accuracy traceable to NBS.

yeah, i checked it with a "real" tape measure a bunch of times.
i don't anymore. it works. she no lie, she no lie, she no lie......

hilti, leica, fluke, fat max, there are a bunch of them to choose from.
the more you pay, the better the accuracy, and the more bells and
whistles, but the cheapest ones are quite good.

randy
You have a lot of credibility in my book maybe I will put one on my wish list.

Fulthrotl

You have a lot of credibility in my book maybe I will put one on my wish list.

if ya want to see something that defies description, watch the guys
who cut stone for kitchens... they set this laser transit up, and hook
it to a laptop, and move a target around the cabinets, and the walls,
and it generates the room directly into autocad, and then they cut the
stone with CNC equipment, and it fits perfectly.

they don't even HAVE a measuring tape. it's spooky to watch. they
can digitize a space, and it's accurate to something like .010", with
angles to 1 minute of arc.... 1/60th of a degree....

laser measuring has been around for a long time, and it is the most
accurate measurement tool commonly available. if you need more
accuracy, it's time to go and spring for the atomic clock....

christmas is coming... maybe one of the reindeer is really a cow,
and will give you some extra pull.....:D

jdsmith

As for measuring heights, just set it on the floor and shoot to the top of whatever. Any sophisticated calculations can be easily done with a scientific calculator.

Floor? I don't do inside work very much, and the poles or buildings here don't have anything very big to shoot up at, so triangulating is the only practical way to do it. I suppose I could sit the unit on the ground and try to get the laser dot on an insulator on the top of the pole, but with 480v overhead there's not much to try to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.