Engineers and Egos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

If my design calls for use of such a device, then my plans will show (perhaps by way of a table, perhaps by way of a note) the position I want the contact be be in, when the mechanical equipment is in a given condition. If, for example, a contact is to be open when tank water level is within its normal range, and if it is to close when tank water level is low, you will see something on my drawing that makes that clear.

This is what I have always worked with and expected. We always need switch positions clarified depending on how they are installed and under what conditions.

hardworkingstiff

Lucky?

Lucky?

I guess I've been lucky.

I can't remember ever having to deal with an engineer that wouldn't take the time to explain what he/she was trying to attain. It's my job to understand what has been put on the plans. Sometimes it may be confusing to me, but I've always had the engineer take the time to help me understand. My job is to install the job per the plans. If there is a code violation, I bring it up, and it gets resolved.

I guess I've been lucky.

MJJBEE

I guess I've been lucky.

I can't remember ever having to deal with an engineer that wouldn't take the time to explain what he/she was trying to attain. It's my job to understand what has been put on the plans. Sometimes it may be confusing to me, but I've always had the engineer take the time to help me understand. My job is to install the job per the plans. If there is a code violation, I bring it up, and it gets resolved.

I guess I've been lucky.

I would hope this is the rule rather then lucky. I know that there are engineers that are bad I also know I have had installers who have no knowledge of what they were doing. The most usual problems with my designs are when installers don't know what I'm trying to do and are trying to save me money. Every installer I work with knows that if they come to ask me a question I will try to explain it and if they have better idea I will steal it and put it on paper in ASAP. I like to remember that we are all human and make mistakes.

On another note as a engineer a lot of the Foreman who I work with are the last people I want to piss off they can make your life very hard or make you look like a genius. I appreciate the fact that sometimes you save my bacon with a simple question and thanks for all your help.

quogueelectric

I'm not sure about this one. If the safe thing to do was to install the old junk, why did you go looking for a new one in the first place?

Perhaps you should have just installed what you were given in the first place and moved on? I can understand if you were worried about it failing and you getting the blame, but if everyone was so certain that the engineer wanted that particular piece of junk installed, it would would be pretty obvious who was to blame.

I'm just making observations based on your story. Please don't take it personally. As an engineer, I've worked with a lot of other engineers that were of the worst kind; the kind that you guys are complaining about. I know thery're out there. My point is that they are NOT all that way, and you should be careful not to judge the ones you don't know by the ones you do know. All of us are unique, just like everyone else (re-phrasing someone's signature there...don't remember who it is.)

Looks like the worst thing this engineer did was work day shift. Sorry, most of us do that. :D
Because it was a rag tag old pos relay and it was missing parts AND it was for the turbine trip. I did my job but under protest and believe me EVERYONE heard about it. I dont do crap work unless you force me to.

quogueelectric

There's a big difference between a contactor with the contacts shown as in the de-energized state, and a switch or contact set attached to a mechanical device with the contacts shown in the 'normal' state, whatever that is.

I would expect an as-built or as-wired schematic or diagram for any field-assembled equipment. Whether any given contact set should be shown as open or closed needs to have the 'normal' state of the mechanism clearly defined.

To me, electrical diagrams are just like any language. The writer must be concise with both the text and punctuation in order that the reader be able to mentally paint the same mental image the writer was trying to describe.
That is NOT a typo I wrote contact Not contactOR.

drbond24

I'm not in it because I don't feel any need to defend myself. Near as I can tell, you don't need to either.

And the ones that should be defending their actions - won't. After all, "they know they are right"

Another inconsequential tought: Do you really think that anything you have said has caused anyone to reconsider their thinking? I'm thinking those that got it already had it figured out. Those that didn't get it ....

cf

It made me feel better. :smile:

charlietuna

Now i must admit--many years ago--late sixties--told you many years ago!!! Was working on the EASTERN AIRLINES engine test cell for there new plane, the L-1011 (at the time). There ENGINEER somehow missed an entire room that was to house a high pressure air compressor and wasn't discovered until late in the job ! It became a rush for all the trades create this room and all it's associated equipment. He had a brass plaque mounted on the air compressor and on the backside of the door stating that "THIS ROOM AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT PAID FOR BY " " ENGINEERING FIRM DUE TO THEIR MISTAKE". A dying breed for sure ! But i guess that why he was Eastern's Engineer too!

Cold Fusion

(cut)and if they have better idea I will steal it and put it on paper in ASAP. (cut)
Absolutely. A good engineer is a good thief (of ideas). And it isn't plagarism if you give credit - I always give credit.

(cut)On another note as a engineer a lot of the Foreman who I work with are the last people I want to piss off they can make your life very hard or make you look like a genius. I appreciate the fact that sometimes you save my bacon with a simple question and thanks for all your help.
Another true statement. To mildly mis-quote (paraphrase?) Ben Franklin, "If we do not hang together, we shall surely hang separately."

It takes all of us to make the job comes out good. I know that, and I do my best to make sure the contractors know I know that

(Define "good job": On time, in budget, meet spec, we all make a profit.)

cf

drbond24

This thread is getting a little better.

Now, I think we all just need a big group hug.

2BearsHug.jpg

Cold Fusion

(cut) Now, I think we all just need a big group hug.(cut)
I'm an engineer. On a good day my social skills suck. After HR gets done with one of their Myers-Briggs, touchy-feeley sessions, I have to go to the shop and get the smile pasted on my face chemically removed.

Don't make me come find you.:roll:

Okay, okay, I don't do that sort of thing my self (too much of a wimp) - but If got a couple of techs I can call.:roll::roll:

cf

Status
Not open for further replies.