2 circuits on 1 yoke ( Dish washer/ G.Disposal) calls for a 2 pole breaker??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amperess

I can't seem to find where the code states that a 2 pole must be used (residential low income housing) for dishwasher and garbage disposal circuits using a 12/3 romex to feed 1 outlet/ breaking the tab. Always used separate single pole breakers.
Question #1: What if they happen to be on the same phase at the panel?

pete m.

210.4(b)

If both ungrounded conductors are on the same phase the neutral current would be additive instead of cancelling possibly resulting in an overload condition on the neutral.

Pete

liquidtite

You could always have two single poles and make Shure their on seperate phases.i thought the code was in place bc a two pole Ocp or handle ties would disconnect the two ungronded conductors at same time.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
210.4(b)

If both ungrounded conductors are on the same phase the neutral current would be additive instead of cancelling possibly resulting in an overload condition on the neutral.

Pete

210.7 also covers two circuits on one yoke.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You can have two separate receptacle (devices/yokes) with (2) 12-2 home runs and two different breakers.

If you install (1) 12-3 you can do one receptacle or two receptacles but must have common tie breaker.

It does not matter if it is low income or high income housing.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
210.4 Multiwire Branch Circuits. (A) General. Branch circuits recognized by this article shall be permitted as multiwire circuits. A multiwire circuit shall be permitted to be considered as multiple circuits. All conductors of a multiwire branch circuit shall originate from the same panelboard or similar distribution equipment.

(B) Disconnecting Means. Each multiwire branch circuit shall be provided with a means that will simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors at the point where the branch circuit originates.

210.7 Multiple Branch Circuits.

210.7: Revised to remove text covered in Part III of Article 210.

Where two or more branch circuits supply devices or equipment on the same yoke, a means to simultaneously disconnect the ungrounded conductors supplying those devices shall be provided at the point at which the branch circuits originate.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
While I realize that the OP is using 12/3, just the fact that it is a MWBC will require handle tie or common trip breaker in his case (even if the 2 receps were on 2 different yokes). Even if he had 2-12/2 or 1-12/4 to 2 receps on the same yoke he would still need handle tie or common trip due to 200.7

Amperess

Thankyou. That's the answer I was looking for. Nobody's EVER called me on it( or anyone else I know in the desert). I appreciate the quick feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.