Emt to Rigid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If I have a run of 100' of 3/4" emt and want to transistion to rgs how is that done? Do I have to have a box for the transistion or is there an adapter?

Thanks.

growler

If I have a run of 100' of 3/4" emt and want to transistion to rgs how is that done? Do I have to have a box for the transistion or is there an adapter?

Thanks.

You could set a box as a pull point ( it's already out 100 ft. ) or just screw the rigid coupling to the EMT connector. If you need a pull point but don't need to make any taps try a C-type condulet ( works good with a rack of pipe ).

Last edited:

Sparky555

Details would help. Usually in that transition I'm going underground & use an LB or pull-el since I also want to use it as a pull point.

growler

(Urban legend.)

Didn't mean it that way. In the first 100 ft. I have no idea how many degrees of bend he has in his conduit , if he's getting close to needing a pull point I would use a C-condulet and kill two birds with one stone. Make the tansition from rigid to EMT and insert a pull point all at once.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Running 1" EMT hr's back to electric closet where rigid is required. Or another scenario where I have to chase(cut) a slab and put RGS in for a floor outlet. I guess I could just run out the rigid all the way to hr box.

Thanks.

LJSMITH1

Here is a Bridgeport EMT to Rigid fitting:

290-dc.gif

They go up to 1".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They also make transition fittings with female conduit threads on one end and either set screw or compression EMT on the other end.

billdozier

why would you buy either of these manufactured items when ridgid conduit comes with a threaded coupling on it and an emt connector isnt that expensive

tkb

why would you buy either of these manufactured items when ridgid conduit comes with a threaded coupling on it and an emt connector isnt that expensive

There are some on this board that will say that is a listing violation but not me.

tkb

A good fitting to change over from rigid to EMT is a Cooper Spacesaver EMT fitting.
It is an EMT set screw connector with a female thread instead of a male thread.

active1

The cast set screw ones (like the bridgeport pic) are the manufactured ones I see. I would say the savings with the set screw ones are you don't need the ridgid pipe to be threaded on the end or a ridgid compression fitting. Ridgid compression fittings can be costly.

An example is where ridgid is run under the ground level floor. Then it is stubed up with a cut off piece. They put a double set screw ridgid/EMT addapter on the stub. The rest is done in EMT. Such as an offset into a switch. If you have a lot of stubs to do the savings in time and material would add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.