2 single poles instead of 2p breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Am I reading 240.15(B)2 right? If I use an identified handle tie I don't need a 2p breaker for a line-line load? Somebody else mentioned it and I couldn't believe it until I researched it. Does anyone actually do this?

Buck Parrish

Am I reading 240.15(B)2 right? If I use an identified handle tie I don't need a 2p breaker for a line-line load? Somebody else mentioned it and I couldn't believe it until I researched it. Does anyone actually do this?

Thats correct.
Though, I have not used the handle ties. They seem flimsy.

aftershock

I have seen where someone used copper to tie 2 breakers together. I have never done this before but I often wondered about the holes found in breaker handles.

ceb58

Only the ones that want to pass inspection under 2008:D

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Only the ones that want to pass inspection under 2008:D

I assume you mean line-neutral MWBC loads. That's mentioned in the article before this one, 240.15(B)1.

I'm referring to straight 240v loads. Like a water heater, baseboard heat, well pump, etc.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I don't know; I don't have one.

Just so you don't feel left out. :smile:

240.15 Ungrounded Conductors.

(B)(2) Grounded Single-Phase and 3-Wire dc Circuits. In grounded systems, individual single-pole circuit breakers with identified handle ties shall be permitted as the protection for each ungrounded conductor for line-to-line connected loads for single-phase circuits or 3-wire, direct-current circuits.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just so you don't feel left out. :smile:
Gee, thanx! :D

240.15 Ungrounded Conductors.

(B)(2) Grounded Single-Phase and 3-Wire dc Circuits. In grounded systems, individual single-pole circuit breakers with identified handle ties shall be permitted as the protection for each ungrounded conductor for line-to-line connected loads for single-phase circuits or 3-wire, direct-current circuits.
Maybe they feel one breaker will stop a line-to-line overload or fault, and each breaker will function independently for line-to-ground faults.

The handle tie still works for manual operation, which is when we'd have to assure all lines are deenergized. But then, why not 3 phase, too?

480sparky

10 ga cu fits just right :grin::grin:

But is too soft, compared to a 5d galvanized.
dumbells.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.