residental smokes detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wiring a two story house and I would like to find the code that tells where the placing of detectors in a residential setting is in the 2011 code book is? help please

Redcliffe

NFPa 72- 29.5.1.1 although it says 21 feet within a sleeping area door, standard in NJ is within 10'. No one seems to question it.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Im wiring a two story house and I would like to find the code that tells where the placing of detectors in a residential setting is in the 2011 code book is? help please

RESIDENTIAL
SMOKE DETECTORS
R313
Smoke Alarms.
R313.2
Smoke alarm location.
Smoke alarms shall be installed in the following locations:
In each sleeping room.
Outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.
On each additional story of the dwelling, including basements and cellars but not including crawl
spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwelling units
with split levels and without an intervening door
between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent
lower level provided that level is less than one full story below the upper level.
The alarm devices shall be interconnected in such a manner that the actuation of one alarm will activate all
of the alarms in the individual unit. All detectors shall be listed in accordance with UL 217 and installed in
accordance with the IRC, the household fire warning
equipment provisions of NFPA 72 and the approved
manufacturer?s instructions.

JES2727

I think a phone call to the Fire Safety Dept. in your city is the easiest, quickest way to get the the information you seek. They likely have handouts that they can send to your fax machine in a minute and a half.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just to clarify although the two terms are often used interchangeably a smoke alarm and a smoke detector are two different things. A smoke alarm is actually an alarming device that will emit sound when it detects smoke, a smoke detector is an initiation device that will signal some other device to provide the alarm, typically a fire alarm control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.