Dealing With Screamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
It gets interesting when no one backs down.

That's true and you do have to be ready for that possibility.

My son just got suspended for 5 days for fighting because some kid who didn't like him, punched my son in the face after my son told him what a punk he was, my son then proceeded to put this kids head into a tree.

When we asked him if it was over with this kid, my son said he wasn't sure, he thinks the kids pride is hurt because he got his butt whooped in front of all of his friends. I then told him, your mom's not going to like this, but if he wants to fight again you make sure that when you're done that he never wants to fight you agian. My wife just looked at me and said, "that's what I think too."

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
gq_004JasonStage.jpg

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

jnsane84

Screaming is a useless tool as it usually tends to be ignored by people who have a decent level of intellect. Screaming is a form of communication used by individuals who cannot obtain respect by their own merit and feel that screaming will surely solve their problem but in all actuality they are indeed a non-effective leader.*

*The ideas expressed above are the sole opinion of the poster are in no way a direct reflection of the forum or its participants. My name is Johnny Outlaw and I approve this message.

Besoeker

There is an old Chinese proverb:
"He who strikes the first blow admits that he has lost the argument."
I think the same concept might be applicable to resorting to screaming in the workplace.

Ill deal with the person maybe once or twice. Then tell them to be a professional and depending on their status, state this is a warning. If they run the job or own the company i will quit. Been there done that.

jrannis

Have you ever had to work with a screamer? You know, someone who can't speak in a civil tone when either offering direction, correction or just participating in a discussion.

Personally, I am working under a screamer, and could use some tips on how to maintain a cool head without cracking his head open with a shovel. I'd like to think I can adapt to just about anybody, but wouldn't mind hearing a few tips.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine is an EC working for a screaming GC. That GC has his good and bad days. My buddy has a decent amount of pride and by all rights probably wouldn't normally put up with the outbursts, but the GC is a pretty steady income in a somewhat slow winter. The funny thing is, the GC commented that one of his prior electricians in years past informed the GC that he was walking off the job, he had no time for it. The GC was relaying the story in part because my buddy called him out on it.

The irony was, the GC was saying that sometimes, he needed a gut check like that to keep his screaming in check - but the reason it was being discussed was because he had just got done screaming (in a bad way about the customer) within earshot of the customer, at the EC. :D

My buddy and I were talking about this the other day, and he asked me (and I forward the question to you): As an employer, would you hire/fire an employee despite/because they are a screamer? Do you consider screaming to be an effective management tool over a construction crew? Are screamer's crews more or less productive?

Should a crew be "screamed at" first thing in the morning to get them woke up and spurred into action?

Any helpful hints for the screamees? :)

I would ask you to carefully read the entire thread on practical jokes. You might get some ideas.
You might find that Mr. Bully can't take a joke very well and will crumble.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm compelled to revive this with the recent odd turn of events.

There is an apprentice working on the job the foreman simply can't stand. From what I can tell, it's got something to do with pheromones because the apprentice has always been productive and upbeat about work in the past. There have been two instances where his work have come into question that I can recall - one was working for this same foreman in the past, and the other was working for the other morale crusher a long while back. If you give him specific direction, let him have his head, he'll outperform most, IMO.

The other day, I was walking to the building (rough-in), coffee cup and tools in hand, and the apprentice was about five steps ahead of me. The boss screamed across the parking lot, asking the apprentice what he was doing carrying a closed can of mountain dew into the building.

"What's the problem with me having a drink?"
"You're too [expletive] slow anyway, I don't need you standing around drinking a [expletive] soda!!!"

I watched all this, took a sip from my coffee and continued into the building. :-?

So, after a few days of this going on, the boss was going to kick the apprentice off the job. By some bizarre coincidence ( ;) ), the apprentice was also going to head in to the shop and ask for reassignment. I told both of them they should do what they were planning. Less drama on a jobsite is a happy jobsite, all things considered.

Just as things were looking like they were all going to work themselves out, a lead apprentice spoke up in defense of the screamee, telling the boss that perhaps he should lighten up and maybe the screamee's productivity would increase. They argued for a while, and then the boss came to me, asking for confirmation of his belief that unproductive people should be flogged and fed to lions, or something.

I said I believed his lack of productivity (which I do not believe exists, but would not swear to that) was due to always walking around afraid he was about to be screamed at for events either beyond his control or beyond his responsibilities, and so he couldn't focus on the task at hand. The boss somewhat boisterously replied, "Well, wouldn't you think he would focus on what he was doing so he wouldn't get yelled at?"

I said that the apprentice likely could not disconnect his emotional reaction to the treatment long enough to focus on his work. The boss was unswayed.

The next day - get this - he appointed his lead apprentice (the dissenter) in charge of the next building, as an experiment. The stated purpose of the experiment is to test the two techniques in management, but I believe it will turn out being an occasion to scream at the lead apprentice at every single mistake made by anyone, throughout the building.

Man, am I glad the guy seems to like me. Although, I wouldn't have agreed to run the job under those circumstances, myself. The lead isn't an idiot, but I don't know what he intends to prove, aside from thick skin.

It's getting a little nutty, but entertaining. The phrase "thrown under the bus" has been tossed out there quite a bit lately. :D

mdshunk

I still say hit him with the shovel best idea I have heard yet. This guy is a turd and needs to be put out with the trash.
Funny you typed that. When I was reading George's post above yours, I was starting to think the foreman needs to suffer from a fall down the stairs sometime in the next week or so.

bikeindy

Funny you typed that. When I was reading George's post above yours, I was starting to think the foreman needs to suffer from a fall down the stairs sometime in the next week or so.

Marc, the reason I don't have 11,950 posts is because you do all my work, I was trying to do my part to save your finger tips on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.