Documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo Maun

One of my friend has been assigned to prepare a Report for Documentation.He told me they want him to sign the Report even if he never witness it and he is not sure if the test has been conducted. One of his immediate superior said it's only formality and nothing to worry. ofcourse he doesn't want to sign it. Now he's having problem with his work. they told him in subordination, by refusing to sign the document can they apply insubordination?I believe this is part of the contract.

Thank you....

God Bless...

iwire

Staff member
Ed we can not provide any legal advice here.

If I was put in that position I would not sign and the fact they are pressuring him to sign it is a strong signal that it is much more then "only formality and nothing to worry".

mdshunk

Put insubordination on one side of a scale, and liability/poorhouse/messy court case on the other side of the scale and see which way it tips. I sure wouldn't sign as the expert in charge of a test if I never saw it conducted.

growler

One of my friend has been assigned to prepare a Report for Documentation.He told me they want him to sign the Report even if he never witness it and he is not sure if the test has been conducted. One of his immediate superior said it's only formality and nothing to worry. ofcourse he doesn't want to sign it. Now he's having problem with his work. they told him in subordination, by refusing to sign the document can they apply insubordination?I believe this is part of the contract.

Thank you....

God Bless...

I wouldn't attempt to give legal advice but your friend should be talking to a lawyer, about right now.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I do not quite understand the situation. It seems like some kind of test was conducted, that your friend was not a participant, nor even a witness of the test, and that the report somehow discusses the results of the test. Can you give any more information? What was tested? Why was it tested? What role, if any, did your friend have? To whom will the document be sent, and what will they do with it? What does the document itself say? I don't know if you know any of these things, but without knowing more, I cannot give you any assistance.

All I can say is that everything depends on exactly what it is that he is being asked to sign. I mean, whatever appears immediately above the signature line is what tells the world the reason for the signature, and the limits of its applicability. For example, there is a huge difference between signing the following two versions of a signature line:
Signature Version 1: I certify that the test was conducted as described, and that the results of the test were as described herein.
Signature Version 2: I am forwarding herewith a copy of the test results.

In version 1, the person signing is taking responsibility for everything related to the test. In version 2, the person is no more than a messenger, and is certifying nothing whatsoever about the test itself.

Last edited:

mdshunk

The fact that the fellow is receiving unusual pressure and threats of insubordination makes me think they want him to sign as something more than the messenger.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
IMO in your version 2 he is signing that these are in fact 'the test results'.
I guess I wasn't clear. My intent was that for version 2, the test results document would include a separate signature that attests to its authenticity. I suspect, however, that the actual situation is more like version 1.

brian john

Put insubordination on one side of a scale, and liability/poorhouse/messy court case on the other side of the scale and see which way it tips. I sure wouldn't sign as the expert in charge of a test if I never saw it conducted.

I have to sign off on reports completed by my employees everyday, BUT I have good employees and I have to take their word that they completed the work properly. Their name appears on the document as well.

It still concerns me, I question every report and call the technician several times driving them crazy but working to make myself fell comfortable with their work.

In the end it is his name and reputation on the line AND I bet the bosses would not back him should this lead to litigation.

satcom

The fact that the fellow is receiving unusual pressure and threats of insubordination makes me think they want him to sign as something more than the messenger.

It sounds like someone may of been injured, and now the company is trying to cover their tail, If they take action against him, he can always seek legal advice.

quogueelectric

The other side of this scenario is that this person who may be in charge of your signature may also be in charge of your work location and could be planning on sending you into the meat grinder to loosen up your attitude for a few weeks. Me personally I wouldnt sign and I would probably say something irritating which would land me right in the brig. I look just like a zebra in stripes.

Eduardo Maun

He will make a Documentation/Report for the test that has been conducted "as per his immediate superior" like short circuit test, megger test and other test for the equipment(s). This will send to the client.But he never witness it and he is not sure if the test has been conducted. I told him I will ask advice from the expert like you here.So in a way I can help him. (hope so).Most of you will not sign it. I will advice him not to sign it either.And I wish his work won't be jeopardized.

Thank you....

Merry Christmas,....

May God Bless us all....

bradleyelectric

What if he writes the report with noting that "these results were given to me on **/**/**, by ****" as he is writing a report on results that were given to him, not as if he did the tests. That is what he is being asked to do. Just write it and sign it as that is what was done.

macmikeman

My younger brother worked in the accounting dept for a HMO located in Tampa that got shut down by the feds maybe about 6-8 years ago. The big dogs in the outfit used my brother to sign a bunch of docs (pressured into it) that later when the fraud started surfacing, they tried to pin the whole thing on guess who. He came out clean in the end, but had to sit thru a whole lot of "interview" time the men in black. I would suggest you do not sign anything you don't feel is correct for anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.