Is a GFCI considered surge protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

Installing an Enlighten Envoy in a basement location and have been advised (by a non-electrician) not to use a GFCI receptacle as it would invalidate the mfrs warranty. The only reference I see in the installation/operation manual indicates not to use with a power strip or a surge protector. My understanding is that GFCI's and surge protectors are two different animals. Can anyone clarify for me? I have also contacted Enphase but have yet to hear back from them.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If you plugged the Envoy into a surge protector it wouldn't invalidate the Enphase warranty either. I just wouldn't work in most cases, that's all.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you plugged the Envoy into a surge protector it wouldn't invalidate the Enphase warranty either. I just wouldn't work in most cases, that's all.

Which also means that you would have no recourse under any implied warranty of fitness for the use, since that use was specifically disclaimed.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Check that the GFCI you plan on using is Listed for backfeed, many are not.
Unlike the Enphase microinverters, the Envoy is just a communications device and does not backfeed any power. However it will put RF onto the power wiring like any other carrier current data system, and so you do need to be confident that this RF will not mess with (technical term) the GFCI and that the GFCI will not interfere with signal transmission. (Both fairly unlikely, but....)

Status
Not open for further replies.