Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Vertical Run

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18

    Vertical Run

    Hi again,
    I am looking for advice on getting power/control/instrument/signal up a 300 foot concrete tower.

    Cable tray?
    Conduit?
    MC Cable?

    Thanks for any responses.

    GW

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Iowegia
    Posts
    16,828
    Read 300.19 first.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18

    300.19(a)

    Hi,
    yes I know about the rules on cable supports.

    Thanks

    GW

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    397
    They make Mc cable that you can run vertical that you don't have to support the conductors like you do in 300.19. Southwire makes it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Barboursville, West Virginia
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by William1978 View Post
    They make Mc cable that you can run vertical that you don't have to support the conductors like you do in 300.19. Southwire makes it.
    First of all, Southwire's vertical run MC cable just has a thicker binder tape over the singles. There isn't anything super-extra-special about it.

    Secondly, regardless of who makes the cable or how, the NEC still applies, does it not?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by drbond24 View Post
    First of all, Southwire's vertical run MC cable just has a thicker binder tape over the singles. There isn't anything super-extra-special about it.

    Secondly, regardless of who makes the cable or how, the NEC still applies, does it not?
    Watch this video http://www.southwire.com/podcastArti...tallations.flv
    What do you mean about there isn't anything special about it the first cable that you can pull strait up the building without supporting the "conductors" but you still have to support the cable every 6'.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Barboursville, West Virginia
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by William1978 View Post
    Watch this video http://www.southwire.com/podcastArti...tallations.flv
    What do you mean about there isn't anything special about it the first cable that you can pull strait up the building without supporting the "conductors" but you still have to support the cable every 6'.
    I watched the video, and they said exactly what I already told you. Thicker binder tape.

    I didn't say it wasn't a good idea, I just said it wasn't super-extra-special. You can disagree with that if you like.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,465
    Quote Originally Posted by gregwaits View Post
    Hi again,
    I am looking for advice on getting power/control/instrument/signal up a 300 foot concrete tower.

    Cable tray?
    Conduit?
    MC Cable?

    Thanks for any responses.

    GW
    A course in rigging, and rappeling.....

    Other than that.

    How long would you like it to last (how long it the warrantee?) - and by way of how much effort? How much are they paying????? Top dollar? Then PVC coated MI cable it is then.... Just rappel down with some powder accuated tools and matching straps. (just remember to teather them to you) No need for a plumb bob as you'll do nicely.

    Short of that - MC would still need the same supports and if exposed wont last very long IMO. Is this indoors? Conduit would too need support itself, and need either boxes or conduit bodies with kleats for the concutors inside - at least 3 of them... However, since we don't know the wire size, amperage for voltage drop at that length - how many - can't really dertermine much here.

    Cable tray? Sorry just need more info other than 300' concrete tower with power and control............
    Electric heretic
    It's always gonna be in the last place you look....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    18

    Rigging & repelling?

    Hi,
    We have a crane so no need for any repelling.

    I dont see any question on the durability of CLX cable. There is not any cable I know of that is more durable whether exposed or buried. It is used extensively in my industry.

    I am just trying to find the most economical way of getting these conductors up to the top.

    I dont want to run pipe up because that is kind of old school to me.

    It seems that CLX is the most effective.

    Thanks for the replies.

    regards

    GW

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •