Emt/Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
EMT comes in both aluminum or steel. IMO your spec requires RMC in either aluminum or steel, but not EMT.

electricalperson

So out of curiosity what is imc. Could it be used in this application?

IMC is like RMC except its not as strong. its still stronger than tubing but its in the middle between tubing and RMC. thats why its called intermediate metal conduit. i usually see that in aluminum. i dont really know how common it is to use since ive mainly used just emt, pvc or RMC and never really had a reason to use IMC

ITO

My spec reads to use either rigid or aluminum for 2inch or greater. Is EMT aluminum?:-?

It's not uncommon for upper end jobs to require all conduit 2" or greater to be GRC or IMC. I believe this is what the spec here is telling you. If you are not sure, RFI it.

billdozier

my post should have asked what imc was made of I was thinking it was aluminum and I know it can be easier then rmc to work with. I had a job with outdoor compressor uints that had to be piped in. He sent me out there with I want to say 1 inch ridgid to run and a hand bender. I hadent quite mastered pipebending and was catching hell using the stuff. So I called the shop and he agreed to send me some 1 inch imc. So much easier to work with

Status
Not open for further replies.