homemade tools/test equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

It is a 4' piece of RMC with a 4" diameter x 8" long solid steel chunk welded onto the end. The whole thing weighs a good 50lbs., and it does a find job whacking in ground rods.

HPIM0643.jpg

mdshunk

Half of a 1000' romex spool bolted on a 10 dollar lazy susan from the hardware store and other miscellaneous scraps from the jobsite.

HPIM0653.jpg

mdshunk

Is that the back of your truck? How do you work out of that pile? :-?
I don't. That picture was taken at the end of a day, in the dark as a matter of fact. That was from whatever I was doing that day. That was just a bunch of scrap for the dumpster.

mdshunk

For testing we are always making jigs and adaptors for completing task.
The last batch of big breakers I had tested, I observed that large C-clamps from Ace Hardware were an important part of the test procedure. Apparently, bolts take too long. :grin: The guy said he used to work for you/with you. I'm not sure if he learned that trick from you or not.

peter d

The last batch of big breakers I had tested, I observed that large C-clamps from Ace Hardware were an important part of the test procedure. Apparently, bolts take too long. :grin:

I'm curious about this. What do you mean by "had (breakers) tested?" Tested for what? Edumacate me please.

mdshunk

I'm curious about this. What do you mean by "had (breakers) tested?" Tested for what? Edumacate me please.
Insurance companies (Factory Mutual and Liberty Mutual, chief among them) require certain breakers to be tested on a schedule. (Big services without main fuses) In jurisdictions where electricians are required to be licensed, an electrician is hired to remove and replace the breakers in and out of the gear. The testing company is just there to test them and put fancy stickers on them. Sometimes the testing company is working for me, sometimes they're working for the customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.