Doing yearly electrical panel maintenance and tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

AylmerQc

Does anyone know if breaker-panel manufacturers are making the removal & re-install of front covers for maintenance and tests easier to do?
The last employer I had required 3-year checks on all wire connections (breakers/lugs,ect) in panels,transformers and disconnect switches.
Some of the panels were old and it was hard to put the covers back on and even some newer ones were a problem. My present employer has me testing ground resistance and ground leakage currents inside each panel, a yearly thing for the last few years.

Anyhow, I'm thinking if panel covers had hinges on one side and clips on the other it would be a big improvement.
Also, as far as ground resistance and leakage current, if there were built-in meters on the front of the panel, or if they were installed as a permanent set-up, with current transformers,or the appropriate coil that would do the job around the earth cable and another around the live and neutral conductors, it would save a lot of time and effort and soon pay for itself...
I think I'll suggest that one to the powers that be,actually...

AylmerQc

Just found the answer..

Just found the answer..

Found a panel today that didn't have any screws on the front cover..I was wondering how to remove it then saw a latch. Popped it and the cover swung open!
Voila! A neat design at last. A breeze to work on.
I've been struggling this past week with old panels that have the worn-out screw-tight latches in the back, no inside-bottom supports, Grrrr!
Anyhow, the manufacturer of these panels even makes some with current transformers that monitor each circuits. They stole my ideas a few years ago looks like...

mgookin

I always thought the hinge/ latch was for the homeowner/ receptionist/ unqualified supervisor to play with things to try to find out why his lights are out. And then screws because we don't want him putting his hands in there when he's drunk, sleepy, in a hurry, etc.

AylmerQc

Latch vs screws

Latch vs screws

There's a screw that needs removing to unlock the latch. If anyone really wants to see what's inside a panel,they'll just remove the screws on a front panel anyhow.
With a panel being opened many times over it's life span in commercial or industrial buildings, the screw holes get worn out and eventually need to be re-tapped to put a bigger size screw. Most old panels I've worked on have at least a couple of screws/cup-washers missing also. Plus there's always the odd one that was so badly designed,leaving very little room on either side of the breakers, that putting back the cover would invariably flip a few as you're trying to hold it and put the screws back in..

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Found a panel today that didn't have any screws on the front cover..I was wondering how to remove it then saw a latch. Popped it and the cover swung open!
Voila! A neat design at last. A breeze to work on.
I've been struggling this past week with old panels that have the worn-out screw-tight latches in the back, no inside-bottom supports, Grrrr!

I sold my first hinged front panel board +30 years ago. They were a common requirement for Telco and POCO installations.
Manufacturers like made them standard catalog items probably 20 years ago.

These covers were often called 'door in door' when they had the latch mechanism and 'hinged front' when they had screws.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Our Ge spectra series 400a panels are hinged but they still have 12 screws. I don't know if you can modify an existing panel or not, it may change the specs for containing a fault

Status
Not open for further replies.