What is considered a bathtub or shower space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

I have a customer who would like a TV outlet placed above her bathtub area and of course that requires electricity. There is a tiled platform three foot in both directions (left and right) of the tub which is centered along one wall of the bathroom. The platform is level with the tub rim. Would that built in ledge be considered tub "area" or would the tubs area include all area to the edge of the tub only. Basically, could I place the GFCI three foot off the tub in the tub area.

Hope everyone have a good Christmas

mdshunk

There's this guy that makes pretty good cartoons to explain stuff like that:

1100705340_2.jpg

1100557167_2.jpg

1100705340_4.jpg

aftershock

There's this guy that makes pretty good cartoons to explain stuff like that:

1100705340_2.jpg

1100557167_2.jpg

1100705340_4.jpg

I was always taught that a switch could not be installed close enough to where you could touch it while staning in a shower or tub. Must be a local thing for me.

On the other hand, I had a job where there were 2 sinks in a countertop just right of a tub. On rough in, I installed one recep between the two sinks. I was turned down on final because code requires one recep per basin. The wall was now mirrored except the wall over the tub. The inspector said I could install a recep over the tub area to satify code since it was still within 3' of the basin.

e57

In the past there was some considerable debate about this practice if you search...

In the past I have had GC's build niches accesible only to cabinetry on the other side of the wall, and have the whole TV and outlet with its equipment on the other side of the perminent glass. And there tv's made especially for this purpose.

That said if you're the type (of freak) that needs to watch tv while you bathe - there may be other solutions available. ;)

e57

I was always taught that a switch could not be installed close enough to where you could touch it while staning in a shower or tub. Must be a local thing for me.

Not sure if still in the CA code - but 5' was the rule for tubs and showers before - and rarely enforced.

On the other hand, I had a job where there were 2 sinks in a countertop just right of a tub. On rough in, I installed one recep between the two sinks. I was turned down on final because code requires one recep per basin. The wall was now mirrored except the wall over the tub. The inspector said I could install a recep over the tub area to satify code since it was still within 3' of the basin.

Not sure if still in the CA code - but 5' was the rule for tubs and showers before - and rarely enforced.

I was thinking of these....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This was discussed before and quite frankly very hard to come to an agreement. I would ask the inspector his thoughts. Here is a picture that was posted-- not for a TV but it brings up an issue with placement of a recep. It is technically not over the tub.
ry%3D400

MadeInUSA2007

TV in view of the tub, we've done it.

TV in view of the tub, we've done it.

The best would be a gfi breaker to protect a regular plug, which could be mounted in the t.v. cabinent. And the cabinent covered by glass, and therefore not in the bathtub area.
We did one bath remodel (a 60 grand total remodel) with the above, and the glass was actually a polarized mirror which would go clear when energized. Pretty cool.
Or mount a flat TV on a wall-mounted stand near the sink, viewable from the tub? They're going to use a remote control, no matter what, so why does it have to be close?
I guess they'll want a phone in the tub too. If they are anything like Kramer, in Seinfeld, they'll want a garbage disposal in the shower too. It's a great episode if you can catch it. He figures he wastes so much time showering he might as well make calls and do dishes and prepare food in the shower at the same time.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If you installed a duplex receptacle you've satisfied the requirement. The receptacle must be within 3' of each basin. One duplex in the middle is two receptacles and will satisfy the NEC.

1003537600_2.gif

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Not a myth....

Being another CA, contractor I can back up what e57 said. There was a code back in the 80's that would not allow a switch within 5' of a tub/shower they got rid of the code (or stopped enforcing it) because in most bathrooms there is no place that is less then 5' from the tub/shower and we had to put the switch outside of the bath room. It was one of the "Stupidest" code rules they had, especially because GFIC outlets were on the market and required back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.