Home Depot ad in EC Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

But if you're going to advertise to professionals, at least be professional about it.....

They may have been more professional than most of us would care to believe.

The objective of an add is to be noticed and to convey a message. In this case the message was that Home Depot sells electrical supplies to contractors and not that they themselves do code compliant work. It's already understood that the suppliers don't have or even need an in depth understanding of the NEC.

They could have tried to get the contractor's attention with a scanily clad female but this has been done to death. So useing all data available on the personality of the average EC it was noticed that most have an Obsessive-compulsive disorder ( at least know-it-all- ness). The one thing that was sure to attract the attention of the average electrician would be subtle mistakes made in the advertisement and it worked like a charm.

The end result is that the electrician is bamboozled by the slick advertiser and now has the Home Depot Label permanently etched on his brain.

Advertisers have even used subliminal messages in adds before so don't think they wouldn't resort to a little trickery to get your attention.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I would just like to point out that the reason the panel in that Siemens ad isn't labeled specifically enough is because the point of the advertisement is the breakers don't represent electrical outlets, they represent family members. Flesh and blood family members that need protection.

/does not work for Siemens.

480sparky

If it's "just advertising" meant to "get someone's attention", then they're obviously missing the boat their ticket is for. They are advertising in a magazine specifically for professionals. HOs don't subscribe to ECmag.

I could see that ad in the newspaper where it was meant to be viewed by the general public who would have not a clue the shopping list of violations it contains.

Would any of you put the following ad in the paper?:

DSC04133.jpg

Joe's Electric Services... quality work!
Call 1-212-555-1212

active1

If it's "just advertising" meant to "get someone's attention", then they're obviously missing the boat their ticket is for. They are advertising in a magazine specifically for professionals. HOs don't subscribe to ECmag.

I could see that ad in the newspaper where it was meant to be viewed by the general public who would have not a clue the shopping list of violations it contains.

Would any of you put the following ad in the paper?:

DSC04133.jpg

Joe's Electric Services... quality work!
Call 1-212-555-1212

That's too funny.
I think the ad would do better in Craigslist.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, since the topic has been discussed and this is turning into a picture posting thread it is time to close it.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.