old fused panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddubbs103

Just got a call from a lady saying she has electric baseboards, and they are on fuses. I am heading over tommorow and was wondering, if it is 240v heater, is that or was that allowed on screw in fuses, and if I have to replace t-stat would I have to rewire by adding subpanel with breakers so I could make it a 2 pole breker. Here is the second question, I have not delt with fuses alot so I was wondering would I put say 2 screw in 30 A fuses to the sub panel, I have never come across this so if you could give me some insight Thanks.

ultramegabob

Im not sure what you are doing, are you troubleshooting a problem, or installing additional baseboard heaters? whatever fuses you install, you need to size the fuse to the wire size...

ddubbs103

Thats what I meant to get at was how do you go about disconnecting means for a 240v heater on screw in type fuses, mwbc , and I am trouble shooting her heat she said her nephew tried to fix but wont or does not know how to wire it with the wires or fuses etc. I'm not to sure who her nephew is probely not an electrician I'm guessing. If it is fed by two fuses that cannot be disconnected together, can you replace the t stat to the way it was, is or was that a code issue years back? I will try to sell new service to her too, worth a shot in these slow times. Thanks

Volta

Here is the second question, I have not delt with fuses alot so I was wondering would I put say 2 screw in 30 A fuses to the sub panel.

The edison fuses are only rated at 125 volt 240.51(A). But you can use them in "circuits supplied by a system having a grounded neutral point where the line-to-neutral voltage does not exceed 150 volts". 420.50(A).

Not ideal, better if you find there is a pullout for cartrige fuses for the range, but seems acceptable.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I think the OP is concerned with a 210.4(B) type issue.
Around these-here parts, an installation that was compliant when installed doesn't require updating unless over 50% of the floor-area of the structure is being renovated, in which case the entire premises must be brought to today's standards.

ddubbs103

It was a FPE fuse panel 100 Amp main, Heat was on cartrige fuse pull out style one fuse was bad and other could not read replaced both fuses etc easy fix but it was drawing 16.47A on one leg and 16.78A on other leg, #12 feeding t stat which was an fpe also. Would that be considered continuous load and if so that is pushing it to me. Panel had rust on bottom of it, not looking so good so she wants a price on a service change. Next to panel, water main and on other side gas meter and piping (isnt that usually on the outside) question is, is there a min distance to stay away from gas meter or water pipe. I can not find anything on staying away from gas meters.

glene77is

DDubs,

I'd work up a price on (1) Service and Panel, (2) Panel only.

It would depend on her fiancial circumstances, but she would have a 'choice'.
Either way, you have modern circuit breakers to work with.

Being residential, the load diversification 'might not' really stress the old service.
If it was commercial, I would certainly count every Watt.

BTW, I have an FPE load center in my house, and it is going to be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.