GFCI Protection with 220V

Status
Not open for further replies.

itselectric

I have not really heard much regarding using GFCI protection on 220 V circuits.

The only option I've seen for this has been GFCI breakers.

I've been browsing the internet and have seen a High Current GFCI by Leviton.

What are these for?

Could these be used for any 220V circuit (up to 80 amps) to provide GFCI protection for any outlet "down stream" of this installed GFCI, pretty much rendering it a "stand-alone GFCI"?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Probably because it is seldom required except for pools and hot tubs.

Most often what is used.

What are these for?

Could these be used for any 220V circuit (up to 80 amps) to provide GFCI protection for any outlet "down stream" of this installed GFCI, pretty much rendering it a "stand-alone GFCI"?
What is the application?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They use a donut type sense transformer with a 120 volt control circuit to provide GFCI protection for up to 80 amp circuits.

21ESAiaWoFL.jpg

http://communities.leviton.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/2046-102-1-3097/Spec 6895.pdf

itselectric

It's actually pretty unique. It's a cattery (cat breeding facility).

The facility will be power washed (floor mainly) but there are two 220v heaters wall mounted about 5 1/2 feet off the floor.

For an extra level of protection we want to add GFCI protection to the line.

We were weighing options and were having trouble locally finding a Double pole GFCI breaker for 30 amps (that's what we need).

The cost is also between $110-$140 depending on where you look.

I had the idea of looking for a 220V GFCI outlet to start the line with to offer GFCI protection to the whole line, but quickly realized that a GFCI 220V outlet didn't exist.

I saw that product, which is about 1/3-1/2 the price of the GFCI Breaker and wondered if that would work in place of the breaker.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm starting to think an extra $50+ for the breaker might just be better/easier.

templdl

What are these for?

What class of ground fault?

iwire

Staff member
It's actually pretty unique. It's a cattery (cat breeding facility).

The facility will be power washed (floor mainly) but there are two 220v heaters wall mounted about 5 1/2 feet off the floor.

For an extra level of protection we want to add GFCI protection to the line.

We were weighing options and were having trouble locally finding a Double pole GFCI breaker for 30 amps (that's what we need).

The cost is also between $110-$140 depending on where you look.

I had the idea of looking for a 220V GFCI outlet to start the line with to offer GFCI protection to the whole line, but quickly realized that a GFCI 220V outlet didn't exist.

I saw that product, which is about 1/3-1/2 the price of the GFCI Breaker and wondered if that would work in place of the breaker.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm starting to think an extra $50+ for the breaker might just be better/easier.

My suggestion is this, forget the GFCI. Ground the heaters as required and move on.

If you really think the heaters are going to get wet you need to choose heaters that are wet location rated not find a work around by adding a GFCI.

Galt

Occupation
master electrician and refrigeration service tech.
You will also need some contactors depending how many heaters you have.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What class of ground fault?

It says 5ma (+/- 1ma) so that would be class A.

I find this funny from the link:

Agency Standards
UL Recognized Component (File #E-48380)

Ordering Information: Cat. No. 6895
Rated: 80A-120/125VAC, 60 Hz maximum load using an Auxiliary Relay (not supplied).
GFCI Load Terminals are used to supply relay coils at 125V, 60 Hz up to a maximum of 0.6 amperes.

Voltage:
120VAC, 60 Hz single-phase
250AC, 60 Hz two-phase

Status
Not open for further replies.