Thread: fire pump disconnects

fire pump disconnects

695.4 (B)(2)(4) of the 2005 nec says the fire pump disconnect shall be sufficiently remote from other disconnects. I have a one line that shows the disconnect tapped ahead of the main breaker and a barrier between the switchgear and the disconnect. I have not recieved the cut sheet from square d to show the size of the barrier. I would like some opinions on this please. thanks

This is usually subject to the allowance of the AHJ. If it is only an enclosure barrier, I doubt it will be sufficient. Sufficient;y remote likely means, the other side of the building or in a completely different room.
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

I have only seen a fire pump, disconnect & start enclosure located in its own seperate room. I mean to keep it seperate is usually looked at as having it in its own room. Aside from the jockey pump disconnect I have never had anything else in the room.

I have seen the disconnect in the same room as the service equipment but usually on a seperate wall without any other electrical disconnect and clearly marked. Remember if this disconnect is also the controller it would need to be within sight of the fire pump as per 695.12(A).

Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity View Post
    This is usually subject to the allowance of the AHJ. If it is only an enclosure barrier, I doubt it will be sufficient. Sufficient;y remote likely means, the other side of the building or in a completely different room.
    There is a bit more to this but I agree with Bryan. The FP disco cannot be in the gear as you mentioned. It can be remote in the gear room on an adjacent wall, etc. and fused at LRA continuously (providing short circuit protection only). That allows for a 2 hr. circuit protective wiring means to controller in the FP room.
    Greg

Electrical Inspector in our Nations Capital