While patroling Craigslist......

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I came across an ad yesterday...

"Will wire generator panels for $45.00 an hour"

So I responded. Not by phone, the bottom feeders on CL never leave an actual phone number or even a name for that matter, cripes most just use the CL auto response email.

Short and sweet...

45 bucks an hour??? Have a little respect for your license.

Response....

I have plenty of respect for my license its a tough time for people including myself I figure thats the best way to help people who cant afford a full fledged company to come out and wire these panels.

As far as I'm concerned you have to do what you have to do. What this guy may fail to see is that while he may be helping a few people out, he is screwing legit contractors that have to charge a realistic rate to make it.

What can you do. :rolleyes:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have plenty of respect for my license its a tough time for people including myself I figure thats the best way to help people who cant afford a full fledged company to come out and wire these panels.

As far as I'm concerned you have to do what you have to do. What this guy may fail to see is that while he may be helping a few people out, he is screwing legit contractors that have to charge a realistic rate to make it.

How do you figure he is screwing "legit" contractors. he apparently has a license and thats all that is required to be "legit" in my opinion, assuming he plays by rest of the rules. What he charges does not enter into the picture, even if he did it for free.

$45 an hour for someone who has very no or nearly no overhead is pretty damn good money.

Buck Parrish

I have seen more and more one man shop's in the last ten years. The price of a service upgrade has noot changed much because of all the low ballers.
I think a lot of these guys figure they can make as much on their own as they would with a bigger company. Because those wages have not gone up either in the last ten years.
I use to see long list of ads for "electricians wanted" in the paper. Now you would be lucky to see one.

khixxx

Stop making posts and walk down to your glorious law makers office and demand that laws and regulation be so tight that no one can buy copper wire, a rec, light switch etc with out a legit electricians license and a legit business degree. Tell them by doing so this would eliminate guys that don't respect legit contractors.

Best of luck

MarkyMarkNC

You should have put your own Craigslist ad up right after he did.

"Double the rates of the other guys, but I'll do the job twice as well in half the time"

tkb

How do you figure he is screwing "legit" contractors. he apparently has a license and thats all that is required to be "legit" in my opinion, assuming he plays by rest of the rules. What he charges does not enter into the picture, even if he did it for free.

$45 an hour for someone who has very no or nearly no overhead is pretty damn good money.

No insurance, No permits, No taxes, No workmans comp, NO PROBLEM.
Thats as LEGIT as it gets.

ultramegabob

I dont know why you guys keep getting worked up over craigslist, quit torturing yourselves buy looking at the adds if it upsets you....

CopperTone

If the guy is legit he can charge what he wants.. If not he shouldn't be doing business.

maybe he doesn't know how much he should be charging?

usually guys charging that little maybe have a jman license, maybe liability insurance and maybe a pick up truck that they already own, pay cash for their material, and drink the profit.
Oh yea, most of the time their wife carries the health insurance or they are a fireman and electrical is sidework. (most of the time this is not their primary income).

That is not an EC and you cannot compare the service of this guy to a genuine Electrical Contracting Company.

Status
Not open for further replies.