You know things are really slow when.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlietuna

Last week i saw an EC's truck at a sign shop in LAKE CITY and they were taking off the different towns they serviced and installing the words "SERVING NORTH FLORIDA" ! You gotta do what you gotta do, to make it thru these tough times !!

Buddy of mine called me two days ago gripeing about the shop he works for. He went to do a ceiling fan change-out, and when he was done, the HO asked how much the shop would charge to put a plywood floor in his attic. Buddy replied that he didn't think that he could do that kind of work, being an electrical shop and all. HO calls the shop and asks them how much, next thing you know, buddy is on his way to the lumber store to get 30 sheets of plywood, skilsaw, hammer, and nails. Gotta love it

iwire

Staff member
...you drive by a house and see a well known local commercial/industrial-only contractor doing a service change.

It could be a favor job, I have been sent on a few service changes for friends of the owner etc. Those are the kind of things that get put off till things slow down.

peter d

It could be a favor job, I have been sent on a few service changes for friends of the owner etc. Those are the kind of things that get put off till things slow down.

That occurred to me as a possibility before I posted this.

I just see it as a sign of the times.

c2500

Buddy of mine called me two days ago gripeing about the shop he works for. He went to do a ceiling fan change-out, and when he was done, the HO asked how much the shop would charge to put a plywood floor in his attic. Buddy replied that he didn't think that he could do that kind of work, being an electrical shop and all. HO calls the shop and asks them how much, next thing you know, buddy is on his way to the lumber store to get 30 sheets of plywood, skilsaw, hammer, and nails. Gotta love it

Which, depending on your location could very easily be illegal. Unless you have the appropriate carpentry license...and if you were in my neck of the woods, a secondary business license since it is a different field. Also, I hope he got some 2x's so he raises the plywood enough to not compress insulation, or allow for future insulation additions.

This said, I more than understand why they did it.

c2500

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
We have a commercial company here, who's last annual gross figure i saw was over $20M, that does residential service calls. They don't advertise for it, but I imagine people call them because they're a well known name and you see there trucks all over town. I did notice they bought a few sprinter vans and started up a service division a couple of months ago.

tonyou812

Just yesterday I repaired my friends mothers boiler. New expansion tank and presure reilef valve. But I dont think any laws were broken. I didnt take money for the labor but she did make me a dozen spring rolls ,shrimp toast, and chicken feet. (vietnamese style) mmmmmmm.

cadpoint

I went down a certain road in town that have many electrical contractors,
I never knew they had so many trailors. I'll never consider these guys small contractors again.

Another larger firm put 10+ service trucks up for sale, racks and bins all 2-3 years old...

stevenj76

business slowdown

business slowdown

That's like when I drove by the Cat dealer / rental and saw, my gawd I never knew there was that many boom-lifts in this town!!

Or by the gravel pit, and saw twenty concrete trucks, all along I thought there were just five.

GUNNING

I took the hint and started to advertise more. It is keeping me going, barely. Im waiting for the big fall out. The one where overhead is greater than profits plus credit. Im also waiting for the US congress to change out the existing Bankruptcy laws to the old ones and make some of the economy more secure. Or a new $1,000.00 note to augment the currency run on the banks. Whos face to put on it? Hmmm...

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
He went to do a ceiling fan change-out, and when he was done, the HO asked how much the shop would charge to put a plywood floor in his attic.

Last week I was finishing a punch list, and when I was done the customer asked me to hang a cabinet. I explained that we were electricians, not carpenters. Surely they know that already ? Perhaps they are simply relieved to find someone who shows up on time, works neatly, and appears competent.

Anyhow, I declined the job. (But was tempted to do it after hours or weekend as a side job--it's slow here as well !)

cadpoint

My other slow story is the elevator man that said he's not lifting as much any more... he's never seen it so slow...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparky555

Generally I'd rather work on the business than expand into new areas of business. IMO in slow times you need to focus on your core, not increase your risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.