Disconnect for in wall A/C unit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

I am doing a job commercial job, where the HVAC technician is installing a
Mitsubishi A/C unit that has the condenser located outside and the blower unit is mounted up high on the wall inside the business. The blower unit resembles the rectangular style of the through wall units. My question is, does the inside unit need some kind of separate disconnect. It will be direct wired from the exterior condenser. I will have the exterior disconnect as required.

Thanks for your replies !

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others. The last one I did the blower unit had a 24volt motor and a 120v outdoor unit. That's only the second time I have seen a 120v outdoor unit so be careful...

peter d

I agree with those that agree.

I would also add this particular situation to the list of frequent code violations. I don't think I have ever seen an indoor split system unit installed with a disconnect.

aftershock

Yes

Some of those units use low voltage between the outside unit and the inside air handler, but yes, if it carries the line voltage lines through to the inside unit from the outside, then just have them go straight to a receptacle to plug the inside unit into. Just like a window unit AC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes

Some of those units use low voltage between the outside unit and the inside air handler, but yes, if it carries the line voltage lines through to the inside unit from the outside, then just have them go straight to a receptacle to plug the inside unit into. Just like a window unit AC.

I have never seen a split system with the ability to have a cord and plug on it.

Peter- I have always installed a dp switch for the split unit.

stickboy1375

Thanks Stickyboy for getting at a question I have... where would you service it from? Inside or out?
If it's outside I'd say you could get by with just 1. If it's serviced inside I'll agree with the other agreers.

Doug S.

By code, you need two disconnects, one for the indoor unit, and one for the outdoor unit. I was only agreeing with Peter that its a code that is not followed.

garrisonm1

We are actually dealing with this right now, the inside unit does require it's own disconnect but make sure you disconnect all legs coming in, we had a guy mistake on of the wires as a neutral which it was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.