Wiremold ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbe

Hey guys got a question well really a couple ? I've never used wiremold before but got a job next week adding some outlets that cant be fished or demo'd. So is there anything you can tell me bout this stuff an also can romex be pulled in it to code or only thhn? Also went to look at a house needing rewired to get HO insurance, the place is in a bad neighborhood and is in really bad shape. The lights sometimes work and there is a indoor panel on the outside of the house with no cover, (whites on breaker, blacks on neutral bar) wires hanging out running along the ground. I thought i had seen bad but this bad/ Anyway normally i would Run away, but its slow so.... Fishing is out of the question has firestops for the tongue an groove to nail to and really i dont want to fight this one.. Can you rewire a house with wiremold? The looks aint going to matter here they just want power to work. So let me have the good an bad here. Thanks in advance.

iwire

Staff member

active1

Why not run emt it can be painted and in some peoples opinions it looks better. It is faster and easier.

Yes. Also EMT is cheaper.
Wiremold is way more in cost and labor.
Sometimes I've had to order certain parts to make the wiremold work.
I don't get any complaints about EMT being scratched. 1/2 the wiremold comes prescratched.
The wiremold boxes are not very big.

If they want quick and low buck you could go 4 square boxes and industrial covers piped surface mount.

bbe

The house needing rewiring the owner said he liked the wiremold. Its got to be easier than fighting the wire up the wall cavity standing and laying in the filth in this house. So how do you ground the wiremold? An what type of fitting or bushing do you use where the romex enters the wm? If i use thhn on the drops what do you do use a box at the entrance to wm to change over to rx with some type of fitting?

MF Dagger

Fish where you can into a normal remodel box and then put a wiremold extension on it to start your wiremold run. They make a touch up can of paint which can come in very handy. Also I have seen that they do make a special cutter for wiremold. I don't have one but I have used a benfield miter box before to cut it and it worked very well for that. Romex is an absolute bear inside of wiremold. Also they sell bushings to go on the cut ends but they are totally worthless so make sure you file em really good.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If you're going to be running a lot of Wiremold it might be worth it to buy the Wiremold cutter tool and save yourself a lot of filing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Wiremold and EMT are apples and oranges. IMO Wiremold does have a much more finished look and is less unsightly. If you're only pulling in 2 or 3 #14's I would use 200 series.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I don't think bbe is looking to run a lot of wiremold, so your suggestions for tools might not be helpful.

bbe Install an old work box where you have romex and ground the box with a 10-32 (preferably a green ground screw). Then add the extension box.

ohm

Yes. Also EMT is cheaper.
Wiremold is way more in cost and labor.
Sometimes I've had to order certain parts to make the wiremold work.
I don't get any complaints about EMT being scratched. 1/2 the wiremold comes prescratched.
The wiremold boxes are not very big.

If they want quick and low buck you could go 4 square boxes and industrial covers piped surface mount.

When the HO gets the estimate for wiremold they will just love EMT. Especially if it's in a low income part of town, as was stated. Done a bunch that way.

bbe

When using a extension box for wiremold and the box your attaching to is plastic how can you ground the wm? Is there a grounding means in the extension box or can it be grounded by the recept yoke, does the actual wm where it attaches to the wm box ground the wm. And also when running a ckt down a wall an the wm is going thru the ceiling what is used to protect the romex where it enters the wm?

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
When using a extension box for wiremold and the box your attaching to is plastic how can you ground the wm? Is there a grounding means in the extension box or can it be grounded by the recept yoke, does the actual wm where it attaches to the wm box ground the wm. And also when running a ckt down a wall an the wm is going thru the ceiling what is used to protect the romex where it enters the wm?

I just checked a 5751 extension box. It has a 10-32 raised dimple, built into it, to put a grounding screw into. As far as transition to RX just use the shoe/mouse fitting right at the ceiling. Easy peasey. There's a Wiremold fitting for just about anything.

John

iaov

I've got a chop saw with a cut-off wheel I use for wiremold. The wiremold cutter I believe is a bit pricey. I don't run the stuff often enough to justify buying them. Yes you do have to have one for each size.:mad:

MF Dagger

They make fittings for entering into the wiremold with romex. Check out the online catalog or snag one from the supplier and it'll start making a lot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.