Customer says "I smell pine burning"

Status
Not open for further replies.

quogueelectric

Upon further review, there are jack studs. You can see the one on the left and I zoomed in a bit and can see the one on the right. The corner bead hides it.
I see it now. They are different lumber on both sides that is why I couldnt see them it looks like they were added when they opened the wall recently. Slap the carpenter anyway just for kicks.

aline

Sorry to keep you up but, no. I always use a minimal amout of staples. I put enough in to keep the cables in place during drywall. I never staple close enough to the boxes either. 10 to 12" seems like a better/smoother installation. The cables up top were held in by friction and gravity. I put a couple in going up the stud to the switch box on the left side, out of the pic. I think it's because I have always done a ton of rework and staples are my enemy.
I agree it's more work to replace wiring that's been properly stapled. But more work should mean more money for us if we're charging enough. Often times electricians will cut corners just to save the customer money. If something goes wrong the customer won't hesitate to sue you, so I say charge enough to do the installation to code and don't cut corners to save the customer money.

Replacing properly stapled wiring is more work. Which means charging more and making more money. :)

The electrician in this article probably wishes he had spent a little more time securing the cables.

http://www.clickorlando.com/money/7302637/detail.html

Status
Not open for further replies.