Buried F/A Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Hello,

I have 2 buildings served on the same F/A Panel, and I have to run the detection device loop underground between them. Does anyone know of a F/A cable (like 2C#16) suitable for direct burying?

Thanks!

MJW

This doesn't answer your question about cable but might save you a headache at inspection time. If I remember correctly you need to have TVSS protection where it leaves one building and enters another.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hello,

I have 2 buildings served on the same F/A Panel, and I have to run the detection device loop underground between them. Does anyone know of a F/A cable (like 2C#16) suitable for direct burying?

Thanks!

isn't fire/life/safety wiring required to be in conduit for commercial
occupancies? the only fire alarms i've done were simplex flavor, and
were in hospitals..... conduit was mandatory.

what about things that aren't hospitals? never done them.....

if it were me, i'd put a piece of pvc in the ground, and pull wire....
with my luck i KNOW i'd have a fault in a direct burial cable....
:-?

peter d

isn't fire/life/safety wiring required to be in conduit for commercial
occupancies? the only fire alarms i've done were simplex flavor, and
were in hospitals..... conduit was mandatory.

That is definitely a local code issue or a job spec, but it's not required by NFPA 72.

satcom

This doesn't answer your question about cable but might save you a headache at inspection time. If I remember correctly you need to have TVSS protection where it leaves one building and enters another.

Another problem may be having the F/A Panel serving devices in another building, That should be real fun for the fire response unit, panel in one building and devices in another, If might be a good idea for him to get someone that knows fire systems, there are so many things to consider and electrical codes, are only part of the issue.

MarkyMarkNC

Genesis cable makes a direct burial cable rated as FPL. I've seen at least one other manufacturer as well, but I can not recall who it was.

I've seen it used mostly in multi-family projects. Running a loop from all of the outlying buildings to a central monitoring location.

Status
Not open for further replies.