drilling rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwireme

I have a customer that wants me to install 110 volt light fixtures on his 40 foot well water drilling rig. The rig drives on the freeway so I would think a high pressure lamp may be the best for vibration. Any help on picking fixtures or lamps would be great.

480sparky

Suggest removing the lamps for transport down the road.
wink3.gif

480sparky

I have to ask why?

Unless you have some sort of special foam lined lamp travel case I see no reason to remove the lamps from the fixtures for travel.

Just a thought.... no requirement to. Seems the back half of any 2-part rig going down the road never seems to have the same suspension as the drivers' end. That part always seems to be much more smooth riding going down the road.

Same reason many folks want to transport very fragile items in their own vehicles when everything else is packed and stuffed into a moving truck.

iwire

Staff member
Just a thought.... no requirement to. Seems the back half of any 2-part rig going down the road never seems to have the same suspension as the drivers' end. That part always seems to be much more smooth riding going down the road.

I guess these guys would be glad your not the boss

EDMONTON039.jpg

Pulling all these lamps out at load out every night would be a pain. :D

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I thought merc vapor was going extinct?
They're probably Metal Halide, not Mercury Vapor. I used to build mobile light towers. We started out using special high vibration fixtures called "dock lights", but found through trial (and looking at what competitors were doing) that regular old MH fixtures were just fine. But what all of them do is mount the ballasts on the trailer, remote from the fixture itself; the fixture is just the reflector, socket and lamp. The lamps are not particularly vibration sensitive when not lit. But the mass of the ballast is too much for the vibration and bouncing on the end of that arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.