gps units

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

I got one of those 99 dollar TomToms for Christmas, and I love it, it has already saved me a bunch of time that I would normally spend looking at maps and missing turns looking for an address.

acwservices

I own a Magellan Roadmate and absolutely love it. I have had mine for a couple of years, and use it almost daily. It is one of the most valuable tools that I own. In fact, if it were to break or get stolen tomorrow, I would purchase another one immediately.

Occupation
Inspector
About a year ago I received a Magellan 3100 GPS. I was not sure if I was going to like or use a GPS and I have loved the one I have. It has helped me in scheduling my routes. I have thought about purchasing a little more advanced unit but I'm not so sure I need to.

iaov

I have a cheap Garmin nuvi 200. Have only had it for a couple of months but I won't leave home without it.Especialy when heading to the big city. I can't believe how well it works.:smile:

wallyworld

I have an older Garmin 330, had for 3 years. If you know the address it will put you there everytime. The only problem I've had is in rural areas where it might send you down an abandoned road. Found that out the hard way:D

alfiesauce

I've had a TomTom 1 3rd for over a year now and would be lost without it...

The one thing I don't like about the TomTom is it's address search function- you need to know the exact city your address is in or you can't find the correct address. This can be a bit of a trick in the cities with all the suburbs melding into one conglomerate. To get through that issue I still use a map book to crossreference the street with which city it might be in using the index. But the navigation for city driving is great. Cross country the times are exaggerated on the long side of time.
Having a good understanding of traffic flows at certain times of the day still really helps as just because it will tell you one thing doesn't mean it won't take you into a traffic jam that you might know is already gonna be there. Some new ones talk to one another to combat that effect though.
And as always road construction and road changes can hamper gps's and maps alike, but with the gps you can keep driving and will get you there another way.

Buck Parrish

I have the Garmin C-340. I bought it when they first came out for three times what they cost now.
But like the others say. I would not leave home with out. It's great! It makes service work so much easier.

I just down loaded from the Garmin web site to my GPS via a usb cord. All new up to date mapping info.

steelersman

I have a cheap Garmin nuvi 200. Have only had it for a couple of months but I won't leave home without it.Especialy when heading to the big city. I can't believe how well it works.:smile:
Hey there's nothing wrong with the Garmin Nuvi. I have it as well and it works wonders. From what I've heard others don't like the Magellans compared to the Garmins. It's long paid for itself. I love it. :)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have a Navigon 2100. It was about $120, and I've seen them around $80 since then. It's one of the few in this price range that has text-to-speech, meaning that it speaks street names. We love it.

It shows interstate intersections and interchanges in 'real view', showing signs and exit lanes. You can enter addresses starting either with the street or the city, so it doesn't present Alfie's complaint.

One suggestion: explore the menus.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
How many of you guys use them on your trucks? How much have they helped find service call addresses? which one do you use?

yes.
yes.
in dash alpine.
if you live in a major metro area, one of the best deals is traffic feed,
for navigation... calculates actual arrival times... mine usually is
accurate within 5 minutes... if i've got an appointment later on,
i'll plug in the next address, and leave the unit on, and it'll keep track
of the traffic, so i can tell when to leave. i opted for one that allows
me to look up a buisness by phone number. that is convenient.

IMG_0069.jpg

iwire

Staff member
If you drive to new locations all the time it is nuts not to have one. :smile:

But keep the paper maps in the truck as well, sometimes the signal can be lost in a city environment.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Garmin Nuvi. Miss a turn even though it told you to turn? Not a problem, it just keeps on telling your dumb butt a new route until you get there. Way better than the wife sweetly telling you missed your dang turn & she has now idea where the hell you're going now. Works great for work to.

tonyou812

definatly worth its weight in gold. I still manage to come accross a few fellas that wont use one. Tottally crazy imo. I would be lost without mine. I have a garmin 4400 and it works fantastic

steelersman

definatly worth its weight in gold. I still manage to come accross a few fellas that wont use one. Tottally crazy imo. I would be lost without mine. I have a garmin 4400 and it works fantastic
Yeah...anything Garmin IMO is the best at least in terms of bang for your buck.

How 'bout them Steelers!!! :)

khixxx

If you don't know my thread on Circuit city was locked so becareful on off NEC topics guys, but sense circuit city is liquidating items you might want to check that store out.

My GPS is a cheaper one but worth it's weight in gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.