Thread: Chicago plenum Light fixtures

Chicago plenum Light fixtures

Can we get a Chicago plenum rated 2x4 fixture which has emergency fluorescent battery inverter - to be used as emergency lighting?

I am not familiar with "Chicago". I would say taking the chicago portion out of your post, my answer would initially be yes.

In 18-27-700.6 (b) "Emergency lighting systems shall be designed and installed so that the failure of any individual lighting element, such as the burning out of a light bulb, cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination."

Typical emergency lights are the frog eye type battery backup that are either wall or cieling mounted. I would think this is the reason. With a flourescent fixture, the battery backup is typically either the inside 2 or outside 2 lamps. If one of these lamps burns out, you will be left in total darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by esox39 View Post
    In 18-27-700.6 (b) "Emergency lighting systems shall be designed and installed so that the failure of any individual lighting element, such as the burning out of a light bulb, cannot leave in total darkness any space that requires emergency illumination."

Typical emergency lights are the frog eye type battery backup that are either wall or cieling mounted. I would think this is the reason. With a flourescent fixture, the battery backup is typically either the inside 2 or outside 2 lamps. If one of these lamps burns out, you will be left in total darkness.
    If more than one fixture is in an area then, imo, there would not be total darkness.
    Frank Arizona,USA

A google search found ' Chicago plenum fixture", it basicly limits the air flow from room

side to the plenum. FYI.
    Frank Arizona,USA

I don't know if there is a Chicago approved plenum rated fluorescent lay in fixture, with emergency backup supply.
    I didn't see one on Cooper Lighting's web site, although they had a NY approved one.
    Russ Burbank IL