need cheap metal cover for non IC rated cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyglen

We have a house that someone put 23 recess cans cut in and there is direct contact with insulation

the cans are not IC rated

we have been asked to come in and correct the situation. We have given a price to replace the cans but the owner would prefer to cover the cans with something and keep insulation 3" away

I have priced having sheet metal boxes made up but this option is too much money

anyone have any ideas as far as something of the shelf and nit too expensive?

there has to be something but I cant think of what to use. How bad would 23 metal milk pails from a farm supply look covering the cans in the attic :)

480sparky

Why build something? Get some of these.

121450909023028575046.gif

rt66electric

top hats

top hats

I have been a few attics that have had more insulation added. The insulation installers simply put a stove pipe on top of each can. the hats were made of simple HVAC snap-together round duct and just placed on the cans. I have no idea if the can below were IC rated or not, workrd fine for years.

alfiesauce

One of our contractors uses rigid foam insulation and PL 400's it together and such, that way it provides an actual vapor barrier as well.

Kdog76

Wondering why the HO is trying to cover all those cans, rather then replace.

I would try to drop the inner can out of the way, unwire it, get the old housings out of the way & swap 'em out with a remodel IC rated can.
A bit of labor, but IMO beats trying to cover them with sheet metal, or box around them.

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Screen wire 1/2 " sqs. might work , too.
I know it will. I've used that by cutting 3' x 3' squares, then cutting away 1' x 1' squares at the corners, leaving + shapes, and folding them into 1' cubes, with the open side against the drywall.

bjp_ne_elec

We have a house that someone put 23 recess cans cut in and there is direct contact with insulation

the cans are not IC rated

anyone have any ideas as far as something of the shelf and nit too expensive?

Not sure if it's blown in - but if not - how about some "chicken wire" forming a "pocket" around the area to hold back insulation. Just form it up and tie wire it so it doesn't spring open. Relatively cheap and assures insulation does not contact. I don't know about the plywood or sonotube solutions - as they'd tend to hold heat in

If it is blown in, maybe get some screen material with smaller mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.