Residential service

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelersman

If one were to install a 200 amp disconnect outside next to the meter and then about 30 feet of SER to the panel inside does the disconnect need to be fused? I think the answer is yes but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If one were to install a 200 amp disconnect outside next to the meter and then about 30 feet of SER to the panel inside does the disconnect need to be fused? I think the answer is yes but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

I would say you are correct, but as we have argued before, that falls under "nearest the point of entrance". I would probably check with the AHJ and see what they say.

I would require it as we have it in our ordinance that "nearest the point" shall be defined as "at the point."

SEO

I agree as well. I think that you knew the answer because you installed ser cable instead of seu cable. But check with the AHJ.

steelersman

I agree as well. I think that you knew the answer because you installed ser cable instead of seu cable. But check with the AHJ.
Well, I knew that it would have to be SER instead of SEU, but then I got to thinking that it probably needs to be a fused disconnect instead of just a disconnect.

M. D.

230.91 The overcurrent protection shall be an integral part of the disconnect or be located adjacent thereto

:smile:Two great words ,.. "adjacent" and "thereto" The letters adja together just look wrong ,.. but it's not ,.. and "thereto" looks like a spelling error for sure ,.. yet it is not. :smile:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would say you are correct, but as we have argued before, that falls under "nearest the point of entrance". I would probably check with the AHJ and see what they say.

I cannot see how 30 feet would be the nearest point of entrance. I vote OCPD needed in the service disco

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is the 30' on the outside or the inside of the building? On the outside you could run it all the way around the building without an OCPD.

steelersman

Is the 30' on the outside or the inside of the building? On the outside you could run it all the way around the building without an OCPD.
Not sure yet. I think it will be SER strapped along the outside wall and then just go straight into the panel. So if I do it this way then I don't need a disconnect or SER? I guess I can use SEU and no exterior fusible disconnect.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Not sure yet. I think it will be SER strapped along the outside wall and then just go straight into the panel. So if I do it this way then I don't need a disconnect or SER? I guess I can use SEU and no exterior fusible disconnect.

Just curious why if you are putting an exterior disconnect on, why not use a fused or breaker one ? After that you could use a MLO panel and not need a main breaker inside.

steelersman

Just curious why if you are putting an exterior disconnect on, why not use a fused or breaker one ? After that you could use a MLO panel and not need a main breaker inside.
This would be the first time that I've encountered this scenario. I've always in the past just put up a meter enclosure and then SEU right into a panel with a main breaker. I was thinking at first that all i would need is a disconnect. Then I realized that I would probably need a fusible disconnect and figured that would add quite a bit of cost to the job for the fuses. I have no idea what 200 amp fuses run, but I guess this is the most feasible method.

benaround

Marc had a good trick in this situation, He would get a 200a mcb panel and just the 3R

enclosure, take the c.b. out of the panel and install it in the enclosure and then mount

lugs in the panel where the 200c.b. used to be.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
As someone pointed out earlier, a service disconnect must have integral over current protection, or be immediately adjacent. If this isn't a service disconnect, I don't think it is permitted either, as a switch isn't permitted on the line side of a service except for a meter disconnect switch.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If the SEU conductors remain on the outside and then go straight into the panel then no disconnect is required. If you wanted to run the conductors farther into the building then the OCPD would go on the outside and you could run SER as far into the building as you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.