recessed fixtures in fire rated ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcspector

Pierre,
What is the Metal wrapping or banding the furring strip?
this is the means of connection of the furring strip to Wood ?

I don't see a screw any where ?

I never seen that product ... thanks

They are a mounting clip for hat track and they resemble resilent channel clips. The manuf. does not want nails or screws in the track. simpson makes a simular product.

One thing about fire rated walls and floors. The fire resistance comes from the method of construction. Ammendments or whatever the code, when talking about methods of achieving fire-resistance take the whole configuration as a system. Fire-rock, air space, insulation and so forth.

If you penetrate a fire resistive wall, floor, ceiling you just can't add a couple of pieces of fire-rock around the cavity and expect it to have the same resistance before the system was permeated.

In my opinion you would need to use a fixture that is rated for that type of application as, I believe Piere (sp) posted the pictures of.

Here's what the 2006 IRC says:

R317.3.1 Through penetrations. Through penetrations of fire-resistance-rated wall or floor assemblies shall comply with Section R317.3.1.1 or R317.3.1.2.

Exception: (Does not apply here. They are for concrete floors)

R317.3.1.1 Fire-resistance-rated assembly. Penetrations shall be installed as tested in the approved fire-resistance rated assembly.

R317.3.1.2 Penetration firestop system. Penetrations shall be protected by an approved penetration firestop system installed as tested in accordance with ASTM E 814 or UL 1479, with a minimum positive pressure differential
of 0.01 inch of water (3 Pa) and shall have an F rating of not less than the required fire-resistance rating of the wall or floor/ceiling assembly penetrated.

ispark

In NYS, we are following the State codes, including the Fire Code and the Residential Code.
Both classify the walls/floors/ceilings of the garage adjacent to living space as a fire rated assembly. The penetration of the assembly whether it is a membrane penetration or through penetration is required to be repaired with a product listed for the type and purpose.

Here is a product that does so for recessed fixtures.

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

Sorry, I had to resize these pics, they were way too big.

Is that code to attach to a resilience channel or does it have to be mounted to part of the stucture?

Status
Not open for further replies.