Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispark

Hi guys/gals, I am new to the forum from Minnesota. I am just starting out in the field but came across this a few weeks ago and thought I would post it to hear some thoughts. I am doing an install where the homeowner has a home theater. He has backer boxes for sound on his recepticals. The GC says it will suffice the IBC but wondering if anyone has come across something like this? (I don't see why it would be an issue as it seems everything is secured)

Picture

IMG00198.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Welcome to the forum. Do the boxes get sheet rocked around them ? Or are they left open ?

ispark

I just called the guy. My boss thinks it will work but we will have to check with the local inspector.

HO said 2 layers of 5/8" drywall around boxes and a 5/8" piece behind boxes attached to the plywood all caulked. I guess sound can go through the boxes and he is trying to sound proof the room. All other recepticals will have similar set ups but much smaller.

Hi guys/gals, I am new to the forum from Minnesota. I am just starting out in the field but came across this a few weeks ago and thought I would post it to hear some thoughts. I am doing an install where the homeowner has a home theater. He has backer boxes for sound on his recepticals. The GC says it will suffice the IBC but wondering if anyone has come across something like this? (I don't see why it would be an issue as it seems everything is secured)

Picture

IMG00198.jpg

I just called the guy. My boss thinks it will work but we will have to check with the local inspector.

HO said 2 layers of 5/8" drywall around boxes and a 5/8" piece behind boxes attached to the plywood all caulked. I guess sound can go through the boxes and he is trying to sound proof the room. All other recepticals will have similar set ups but much smaller.

What exactly is the concern?

ispark

Mainly it is the first time I came across something like this. The adjustable box is furred out as well. It just looked out of place. This is my first year in the field and it seemed strange. I am sure as I continue in my career, I will run into quite a few strange situations.

ispark

Puddy Pads would probably have worked. There will be 2 dimmer in each box is there a concern with heat using pads with dimmers?

ispark

Is the sound damping, to be the Rock Wool that tan/organge stuff above the receptacles ?

I don't know much about the sound control stuff but the wall is 2 x 6 and the enclosure is 2x4. Their is mineral wool behind it to fill the 2". I expect the whole wall will be filled with it and it was probably easier to put that in prior instead of trying to jam it in after. The seams are caulked with fire rated caulk.

I was just asking as "strange" because the recepticals were not attached to the main studs but centered in the middle. H/O said when he has the coin he wants to put in a full control panel to run scenes. It will be large enough for that in the future and still have some sound control. It seems to make sense I guess.

cadpoint

I don't know much about the sound control stuff but the wall is 2 x 6 and the enclosure is 2x4. Their is mineral wool behind it to fill the 2". I expect the whole wall will be filled with it and it was probably easier to put that in prior instead of trying to jam it in after. The seams are caulked with fire rated caulk.

I was just asking as "strange" because the recepticals were not attached to the main studs but centered in the middle. H/O said when he has the coin he wants to put in a full control panel to run scenes. It will be large enough for that in the future and still have some sound control. It seems to make sense I guess.

Here's the answer to Rock Wool granted it's from the Association that make various types of this stuff!

Why would it matter as to where a box is attached, the product you are using is "Listed" Article 100. I build bridges all the time, it sends one to other places!!!!

I was frankly looking for the phrase, "of like construction", or like construction to be used, I couldn't find that but found some other "Stuff"!

Addressing the second paragraph:

Frankly there sound proof'n in MO. But if you want to look and something Atricle 110.15, which you seem to be working with including the 120V.

Article 110.26 leads off or Article 110.27 which deals with 50V or more and Accidental Contacts, or Article 110.34(B) which highlights Seperation of Low voltage equipment, but your all really doing that as you've isolated the box what I assume is low voltage and 120v.

Arlington a listing of their Comm. products and others have some great products that are even angled for the modern application of TV, cabling and stereo's.

If the stuffing bother you for some future servicing then I'd (if at all possible run a conduit to point)install conduit and go to 4 sq boxes, or even 4 11/16 with a 2 gang mud rings.
You can't install all future needs, but you sure can get close by asking the owner what they really need!

Last edited:

Cavie

I did this for a writer back in the '70's. Richard Jessep. He soundproofed his writing room so as not to be disturbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.