Panelboard cover question

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterelect1

I recently came across a panelboard that did not have a cover. I advised the building super that for safety the panel must be covered. He said he had lost it. I told him to get one. When I came back back several days later, there was the panel covered masterfully with a fully hinged cover made of 1/4" plywood. It looks ok and is quite functional. Is there anything in the NEC which disallows this.

thanks,
John

Buck Parrish

I recently came across a panelboard that did not have a cover. I advised the building super that for safety the panel must be covered. He said he had lost it. I told him to get one. When I came back back several days later, there was the panel covered masterfully with a fully hinged cover made of 1/4" plywood. It looks ok and is quite functional. Is there anything in the NEC which disallows this.

thanks,
John

The building super was obviously a carpenter.:smile:
You can't use wood no matter how nice it looks. It must be a ul listed product being used with the same.

iwire

Staff member
Could someone point out the NEC requirement that either the cabinet or cover that contains a panelboard must be listed? :D

In my opinion 312.10(C) is the NEC section that will prohibit the wooden door.

Volta

Haven't found another listing requirement, but "designed for the purpose" 408.38, or "vicinity of easily ignitible material" 240.24(D).

Last edited:
The panel enclosure and cover are listed together. If you notice the next time that you read the label in the panel enclosure, it will state which cover(s) are listed to be used with the enclosure.
Besides the fact that wood is combustible and one of the functions of the enclosure/cover is to help contain arcs and sparks, there is another reason for the particular cover listed to be used with the panel enclosure.

Stay tuned for next weeks feature to explain what the other function is...of course unless someone else comes up with it first. ;)

Buck Parrish

The panel enclosure and cover are listed together. If you notice the next time that you read the label in the panel enclosure, it will state which cover(s) are listed to be used with the enclosure.
Besides the fact that wood is combustible and one of the functions of the enclosure/cover is to help contain arcs and sparks, there is another reason for the particular cover listed to be used with the panel enclosure.

Stay tuned for next weeks feature to explain what the other function is...of course unless someone else comes up with it first. ;)

Okay... Some breaker lock out devices are held in by the cover.:wink:

iwire

Staff member
I don't think so, but if

then 110.3(B).

Ditto Volta's response.

I have not once in this thread said that 110.3(B) may not apply. It is very likely it will. :smile:

Doesn't anyone ever get tired of automatically falling back on 110.3(B)? To me many times that is just taking the easy way out. :-?

Some people like to wrap UL around themselves like a warm cozy blanket and thats fine. Obviously it is good to know the UL requirements but I also like people to know what the NEC requires, it kind of makes sense this being a NEC web site. :D

All I wanted to point out was that the NEC does not require metal panel cabinets or the doors to be listed. I imagine that there is a reason the the CMP went to the trouble of requiring a listing or preapproval for "Nonmetallic Cabinets" when they do not require it for metal cabinets.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Could someone point out the NEC requirement that either the cabinet or cover that contains a panelboard must be listed? :D

In my opinion 312.10(C) is the NEC section that will prohibit the wooden door.

I would agree with Bob, wow twice in one day, you're on a roll.:grin:

You may also be able to use 408.7, though it might be a stretch.

Last edited:

sii

Uh...aren't the boxes in front of the panel a violation of the code on working space? Can't remember article #'s off the top of my head like the rest of you guys and don't have my code book infront of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.