Commercial Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg y

The company i am with is small and we just did a print shop and got all electrical inspectons passed and signed off . Went today to do a couple of punch items and the G.C. said there was another electrican there yesterday (not from our company). Talking with the owners this other electrican is going to add more plugs to the unit after we are done. The question is does our company have to still honor our 1 year warranty after someone else goes in there and adds a lot more electrical after we have been signed off on and the owners accepted our work complete?

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion unless you can show that the other ECs work was the cause of a problem you still have to cover your work.

If the guy adds some outlets in the office and then a ballast goes out in the bathroom it is still your problem.

480sparky

Keep all the documentation you can. Save all the plans, as-builts, contracts, photos, log books, etc. If you can document the fact that the problem is not part of the installation you did, you have a better chance of getting paid for it.

Do you have a clause in your contract about others working on your installation?

charlietuna

Let me reverse the possible problem. We had a large printer account ask us to bid his new building, but we were just too busy to get involved with the new construction aspect of this job. After his building was "C.O.ed" they called us to wire a large six color press which was located in the first of three "future" press rooms. Each press room had a separate feeder shunt trip breaker and as we got to the point of connecting the sub feed conductors we realized the construction EC had substituted some used breakers in place of the specified breakers? These breakers were in a three phase frame, but only had two poles active--the gear rep told me that this contractor told him to exclude the three breakers for the job - that he had breakers left over from another job. The owner contacted the GC and had a meeting to discuss the issue. At first the EC denied these were the breakers he installed---but after learning the rep told us about excluding them-- he ordered the correct breakers at $12,000. each X 3 = $36,000.00 !!! Very embarrassing--and i knew this guy!

SEO

I agree with both iwire and 480sparky cover all your bases. Depending upon the comptency of the other electrical contractor (it they are a contractor) they might extend your lighting circuits and overload them, they might add receptacles to your lighting circuits anything is possible just cover yourself.

nyerinfl

To add, if in adding these new receptacles they tap out of a circuit that was installed by you during the build out instead of supplying a new HR that circuit would be potentially voided. If anyone touched any part of anything I did while on the job I'd say they voided the warranty on that part of the system.

~Shado~

Do you have a clause in your contract about others working on your installation?

Excellent question! As I am still working on my business plan, I have been thinking of events, things that annoyed/concerned me in the past and trying to incorporate corrections.

What kind of verbage would this clause state?
- Simply to not warrant work done by others
- If others work uses/extends my work, it voids that particular circuitry
- During 1 year warranty no other EC can perform work on said premises
- Or?

480sparky

Excellent question! As I am still working on my business plan, I have been thinking of events, things that annoyed/concerned me in the past and trying to incorporate corrections.

What kind of verbage would this clause state?
- Simply to not warrant work done by others
- If others work uses/extends my work, it voids that particular circuitry
- During 1 year warranty no other EC can perform work on said premises
- Or?

Here's what mine says (I actually refer to it twice): 11.b.1 and 18.

11. WARRANTY:
a. Warranties shall apply exclusively to the electrical installation of the material, fixtures, equipment, and other items supplied by Code Electric.
b. Warranty does not apply to:
1. Material, fixtures, equipment and other items supplied by others.
2. Extensions, alterations or additions to the original installation if made by others.
3. Bulbs, lamps tubes & ballasts that are part of light fixtures & similar equipment.

18. CHANGES AND MODIFICATIONS TO WORK:
If, during the course of this contract or any agreed-upon change orders or during the warranty period, any work installed by Code Electric is modified, altered, revised or otherwise changed by anyone other than a Code Electric employee or assign, and/or without our consent, no warranty will be given. Further work will not be performed on the changed portion(s) unless Code Electric can be fully satisfied that the changes done are consistent with our installation policies and governing Codes. Labor and material needed to confirm acceptance will be charged to the Owner/Contractor as an additional expense above and beyond the price given in this proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.