box fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just talking about the plastic single gang nail on boxes I don't remember what size it was but anyways I've got 4 12-2 romex wires coming into the box also a recp it was a little tight so just wondering if I should have ran my wires different

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm just talking about the plastic single gang nail on boxes I don't remember what size it was but anyways I've got 4 12-2 romex wires coming into the box also a recp it was a little tight so just wondering if I should have ran my wires different
I would say you are in violation.

rt66electric

?! whats a p-ring

?! whats a p-ring

replace it with a 2 gang box and a p ring if it is that tight
What is a p-ring? is that like a mud ring? I've never seen one of those critters around here. We have lots of armadillos possums and skunks. is it like a wire-strecher? Can you find one at the bottom of a new 5 gal bucket of blue wire lube(smurf smegma) next to the free strippers??

480sparky

What is a p-ring? is that like a mud ring? I've never seen one of those critters around here. We have lots of armadillos possums and skunks. is it like a wire-strecher? Can you find one at the bottom of a new 5 gal bucket of blue wire lube(smurf smegma) next to the free strippers??

p = plaster.

normbac

thats what we call them from back in the day what do you yahoos call them now
:grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
replace it with a 2 gang box and a p ring if it is that tight

Why a 2 gang box for one receptacle?

Matt,

If you have 4-14/2 cables and one device you'll need a box with a minimum of 22 cubic inches to comply with 314.16. This is what you have towards box fill:

8 conductors (Blk and Wht)
1 EGC
2 conductors for device
Total= 11 conductors

Table 314.16(B)
#14= 2 cubic inches/conductor
11 * 2 = 22 cubic inches minimum required

Status
Not open for further replies.