Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Additional ground rod necessary?

Additional ground rod necessary?

A meter socket is mounted on a remote pedestal adjacent to a pad-mounted transformer. The underground service lateral from the meter socket to the residence is 50 feet. A ground rod is driven at the meter pedestal location and connected to the terminal in the socket. Is an additional ground rod required to be connected at the main service panel? This is all the information that I have. Please list the code section.
    Thanks

Maybe, maybe not.

The section that covers the grounding of the service is 250.24. Based on 250.24(A)(1), the grounding of the service is achieved at the meter socket enclosure location, thus additional grounding at the main is not required.

Two potential issues may require you to ground at the main as well.

One could be your local utility rules. Some local POCO's require grounding at the main and not in their equipment. The local AHJ may also request the groundng be at the main and not in the meter socket enclosure.

The other potential issue is 250.30. It could be determined that this section applies, thus requiring additional grounding at the main.

Check with your local AHJ.
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

Quote Originally Posted by smallfish View Post
    A meter socket is mounted on a remote pedestal adjacent to a pad-mounted transformer. The underground service lateral from the meter socket to the residence is 50 feet. A ground rod is driven at the meter pedestal location and connected to the terminal in the socket. Is an additional ground rod required to be connected at the main service panel? This is all the information that I have. Please list the code section.
    Thanks

(IMO) I would say yes, two more are required at the main. Treating it like an other building.
    Do you have a 4 or 3 wire service at the main? It doesn't really matter in 08.

Is there a service disconnect at the meter pedestal?

If so, then 250.50 would kick in for the pedestal, and 250.32(A) would kick in for the building. Both would require grounding electrode systems.

If there is no service disconnect at the pedestal, then I do not believe the NEC would require a grounding electrode system to be employed there, but the utility probably would.

Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity View Post
    Maybe, maybe not.

The section that covers the grounding of the service is 250.24. Based on 250.24(A)(1), the grounding of the service is achieved at the meter socket enclosure location, thus additional grounding at the main is not required.

Two potential issues may require you to ground at the main as well.

One could be your local utility rules. Some local POCO's require grounding at the main and not in their equipment. The local AHJ may also request the groundng be at the main and not in the meter socket enclosure.

The other potential issue is 250.30. It could be determined that this section applies, thus requiring additional grounding at the main.

Check with your local AHJ.
    I'll 2nd that answer.
    "If you always do what is right to others you can't go wrong"

The more I learn, the more I realize just how much I don't know.

Always consult your local code enforcement department for direction. Read at your own risk

Inspector

If you are using only a singl ground rod as the grounding electrode system then under Art,250.56 requires this rod to be 25 ohms or less of resistance. If it is not 25 ohms or less then an addtional rod is required to be installed a min. 6' from the first. In some jurisdictions it is required to hire a 3rd party tester to come in & do the test to prove that the single rod is 25ohms or less. So in most cases it is less exspensive & less of a hassle to just install the additional rod.

The world would be a better place if 250.56 didn't exist...
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP

Quote Originally Posted by bphgravity View Post
    The world would be a better place if 250.56 didn't exist...

Heretic

(OK I am one as well on this subject)

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    Heretic

(OK I am one as well on this subject)
    Thanks iwire you taught me a new word.:smile:

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SEO View Post
    Thanks iwire you taught me a new word.:smile:
    I have been called worse...
    Bryan P. Holland, MCP