GFI required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

Recently had a final inspection on a lease-hold space in an industrial warehouse setting.

They leased out a previously empty space and built some restrooms and an office in it. The rest of the space remains open.

We installed some new wiring for those rooms, and installed GFCI protection where required: Restroom outlets, and one for the water cooler. We also had changed one of the existing outlets in the space to a GFCI unit for use during construction to comply with those requirements.

When the inspector arrived, he noted there was a couple of outlets located in the rear of the open space, mounted adjacent to the electrical panel. He wanted them to be GFCI protected as well.

I asked him where in the Code it required this and he started citing the fact that there was concrete floor present, etc.

I maintained he was making up rules at this point and he finally backed off.

Have you ever encountered situations where the inspector starts to make up his own rules?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
That points out just one more reason that it is important for electricians to understand the Code.
Unfortunately there are inspectors who "make up the Code". There are also a number of inspectors, like myself, who have many years of Code in their head and can make mistakes. IN addition, some jurisdictions have "combo" inspectors who must try to keep numerous Codes in their heads.

gmeerschaert

That points out just one more reason that it is important for electricians to understand the Code.
Unfortunately there are inspectors who "make up the Code". There are also a number of inspectors, like myself, who have many years of Code in their head and can make mistakes. IN addition, some jurisdictions have "combo" inspectors who must try to keep numerous Codes in their heads.

Second that, everyone makes mistakes and crossing over into other fields is difficult, multiple inspection certifications requires continually staying current on all of those trade changes. However (kbsparky) you mentioned that you left a GFCI for construction purposes, so if there is construction activity going on it would seem prudent to supply GFCI protection for those outlets also IMO. It is also enjoyable to discuss interpretations when those times arise since not everyone's views are going to be the same.

Last edited:

kbsparky

The lease-hold space was originally empty. There were 2 locations of receptacles: One at the front door, the other ones in the rear adjacent to the panel.

When it became apparent that they were going to build-out part of the space with the restrooms and office, I replaced the front door one with a GFCI unit.

The ones in the back I left alone, as they were too far away to be of any use for construction purposes.

My problem with the whole thing was the "concrete floor" mention -- which is not based in the Code, but an embellishment on the part of the inspector.

jumper

My problem with the whole thing was the "concrete floor" mention -- which is not based in the Code, but an embellishment on the part of the inspector.

About 15 years ago I did a renovation down your ways and inspector made me use a GFCI in the mechanical room, because it had a concrete floor.

I was new to the trade and did not know any better.

kwired

Electron manager
Second that, everyone makes mistakes and crossing over into other fields is difficult, multiple inspection certifications requires continually staying current on all of those trade changes. However (kbsparky) you mentioned that you left a GFCI for construction purposes, so if there is construction activity going on it would seem prudent to supply GFCI protection for those outlets also IMO. It is also enjoyable to discuss interpretations when those times arise since not everyone's views are going to be the same.

IMO you could have plugged in a portable GFCI and still been code compliant for the construction purposes. I still think it was a good idea to just put in a regular GFCI like you did though, as the construction guys often don't know squat about what it is all about and will even remove it - especially if it trips more than once for them.

darekelec

Water cooler, that OP mentioned at beginning of post, does not need to be on gfci. Water fountain does per

422.52 Electric drinking fountains. Electric drinking fountains shall be protected with ground-fault circuit
interrupter protection.

And who is making the code rules now?

kbsparky

Water cooler, water fountain, drinking fountain, etc..... sheesh. Let's really pick this apart. :blink:

I had no qualms about installing GFCI protection for the drinking fountain, which cooled the water internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.