Curiousity - Power Off/Power On

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

As I started the trade 20 years ago - before they had arc flash PPG available - I'm curious how many of you shut off the main breaker before going in to a house panel. This being whether you're adding a ne circuit and breaker or say adding a multi-circuit transfer switch. I never did much hot work, as I mainly worked new construction. I was typically on the next job working the deck when the panels were getting turned on and the punch list was being run.

I know my Dad used to have a pair of rubber gloves with leathers - and he used to get the guys for the local POCO to test him. The only time I know of him using them is when he was working a service.

I know show guys have show those clips that they put on to the meter socket, so I know there are guys out there working things "hot". Just curious when and when you don't turn the power off. This probably calls for one of those survey posts, but I'm not sure how to set that up.

Mule

I learned my lesson earlier this year with a existing installation that shorted out blew up and caught fire right before our eyes.....so for us, if the existing installation looks healthy and professional we are just "Carefull" if it looks junky in any way it all, its gloves or its dead...

mxslick

I learned my lesson earlier this year with a existing installation that shorted out blew up and caught fire right before our eyes.....so for us, if the existing installation looks healthy and professional we are just "Carefull" if it looks junky in any way it all, its gloves or its dead...

Was it FPE by any chance? :D

mxslick

I 'fess up to working hot in many resi panels, mainly at my parent's homes, and also did a lot of hot work in cinema panels..but not anymore. If I can't shut it down I don't mess with it.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Had a 277 wire (supposed to be dead, and it was a long time ago) fall out of a wirenut, and hit the side of a box. Sounded like a shotgun next to the ear (and was left on top of a ladder...in the dark:( ).

B4T

the last main I shut off didn't didn't reset when I tried to close it. It was a Zinco panel and nobody had a replacement 100a main. I had to do a panel change and the HO said it was fine before I touched it and never had a problem. We went back and forth and he paid for materials.. I did install for free. I work hot installing new circuits. I don't touch a main breaker anymore. I pull the meter instead :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.